Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bad Turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Bad Turbo??

Ok so I got my turbo kit finished being fabbed up last night and was checking everything out and I found a good amount of oil pooled up in my compresser housing. So I cleaned it out check the bolts .. few of them weren't real tight going to the center section so I torqued them down started the car with the housing off .. no leak .. sweet .. while I was wiring the return pump and the wide band I left the intercooler piping off .. and low and be hold it filled back up with oil so I took the down pipe off .. thats full of oil too ... Bad turbo or am I really doing something wrong .. btw its a Precision 74mm suppose to be brand new when I ordered it.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

did you have the car running? was the turbo actully spinning?
Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1999T/A30th1336
did you have the car running? was the turbo actully spinning?
yea it spun fine .. funny thing is I cleaned it up and started it and it didnt leak when the car was running .. but when you cut it off .. it starts leaking.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

darn browser ..
Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bumpity for the night crowd, would like to know something before I put it in the mail tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 PM

I cant believe nobody has jumped in to help you out on this yet, I threw a bump at your other post. I was looking at the STS kit but this whole deal with the nightmare of an oiling system is really turning me off to the idea, and seeing as how I dont want to loose my A/C, the front mount is touch and go...oh god, dont make me buy a proocharger.....
Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
yea it spun fine .. funny thing is I cleaned it up and started it and it didnt leak when the car was running .. but when you cut it off .. it starts leaking.
Sounds like the check valve on the top of the oil feed is stuck open. There is a check valve that is supposed to close to prevent oil from pooling into the turbine when the engine is off. Since you don't seem to have a prob when the engine is running (which means the oil pump is scavanging the oil from the turbo), sounds like this is your prob.

BTW, sounds like you have an aftermarket turbine on the car. Is this a "homebuilt" kit? If so, did you add a restrictor checkvalve to the oil feed entering the turbine? If not....then this is most likely your prob Good luck
Old 04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually it is a "homebuilt" setup and it is not a sts turbo or anything, I am using a Precision GTS which is suppose to have the oil reduicer built in so I dont have to run nitrous jets or whatever to limit flow. I have some pics of the setup to get a better idea I should get them posted tonight. I have a call put into the company right now to see what they think the prob is. Just wondering if there is anything else I can do before I send it back and wait forever to get it back.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 70Stang
Is your scavenge pump working? Is the turbo new? You drain line is not kinked? Pics of outlet / pump setup?
You said you were wiring the return pump, did you not have it working when you started the car? Like Schantin said, is your check valve installed correctly?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 70Stang
You said you were wiring the return pump, did you not have it working when you started the car? Like Schantin said, is your check valve installed correctly?
I just had the pump hot wired, I was running the wires into the car to the relay and cleaning things up. Yes the pump was on the entire time the car was running .. and as soon as the car shut off I unhooked the pump (power) what check valve? how do I check that?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
I just had the pump hot wired, I was running the wires into the car to the relay and cleaning things up. Yes the pump was on the entire time the car was running .. and as soon as the car shut off I unhooked the pump (power) what check valve? how do I check that?
Assuming you have one installed, it's on the turbine where the oil feed line enters the turbo. Looks like a cylindrical brass tube. Unbolt it and try to blow air through the valve (BTW, it's a 1-way valve....should have an arrow showing the direction of flow). If you can blow air through it, the valve is bad. It has a spring/checkball that is positioned to the closed position. The force of the oil feed from the engine oil pump overcomes the spring pressure and opens the checkball, allowing oil into the turbine for lubrication/cooling. When the engine is off, the checkball closes preventing oil from draining into the turbine. When oil pools in the turbine, it gets blown past the turbine ring seals and ends out in the intake and exhaust.

If you don't have a checkvalve installed.....do this 1st. Good chance this will solve your problem. Also, if the valve is installed backwards it will cause similiar probs. Good luck
Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

^ What he said ^
Old 04-28-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow ironicly I talked to the guy I got the turbo from today and he said the same thing but he said I Needed a valve in the return line between the pump and oil pan cus it was just flowing back when I cut the pump off.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

No - you need a check valve in the FEED line.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok how about both? I dont see how the feed line would matter cus its not being pumped anymore but I am willing to try anything plus wont it just stay open since thats the direction the oil is flowing anyway?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

next step, where can I get a check valve .. prefer local cus I want to get it up and running asap.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

+1 on adding the check valve. The one you need is part # 7768k51 from Mcmastercarr.com and you only need one on the oil feed going into the turbo.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

Can you post some pictures of your setup?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry I don't have any real good pics of the finished product but maybe you can get the idea by these. I should be bolting everything back up Wed. night and putting the check valves in.

Last edited by Super Slow SS; 04-29-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

(Sorry for the long post see bottom for clifts notes)
ok I got the check valve put in the feed line yesterday. Got the intercooler piping buttoned up and the BOV welded in vaccume lines ran wide band mounted in the downpipe about 8-9" from the outlet of the turbo. Started the car up let it run a min, cut it off checked the turbo .. no real oil in the housing this time, great news, seems like the check valve is working. so I put the piping on and take it for a run, no boost. Pull it back on the lift and notice that the charge pipe came off the turbo and has some oil residue on it. Clean it up notice a little bit in the turbo clean that out .. install a nitrous jet thinking that It was getting some blow by under load take another run .. still no boost, guage comes all the way out of vaccume but wont budge past 0. Turbo sounds like its about to take off on its own back there but doesnt sound like its under and load just free spinning. Checked and double checked all my pipes all clamps are tight but I cant make boost, any ideas on what gives? Also I did notice that my wastegate is open just a little at idle is this normal?

All my pipes are tight and everything is connected but I cant make boost .. will come out of vaccume but no boost. Please help.

Quick Reply: Bad Turbo??