Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Thinking about going with an STS turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Thinking about going with an STS turbo kit

Just feeling this out. I was considering making the switch over this winter to a rear mount turbo setup. I think it would be nice to have stock - ish street manners with FI rather than a big cam like i currently have. Also i wouldnt have to revv the hell out of my car to make the power that i want. My goal would be 500ish rwhp. What setups are you guys running? Anyone running a front mount with this kit? what size turbo? What kind of cam would be a good boost cam for me (as i would have to swap out my current one anyway) I have seen some on here in the for sale section for decent prices, thought about picking one up.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a good start... I don't recall what page it's on but he's got pics of the FMIC that he's running with his setup.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/631954-sts-install-pics-stuff.html

Turbo wise keeping your goals into consideration a GT67 or T76 would get you there with some room for growth in the future. Cam wise, a lot of the sponsors have a variety of FI Cams to choose from. What does your current fuel system consist of?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

racetronix 255, stock injectors though..... some people have suggested a Z06 cam to me for use with boost... i will have to look around
Old 07-21-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

You'll definitely want to upgrade your fuel injectors, some people would say go with a set of 42# injectors but most would say 60# injectors.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jt76
racetronix 255, stock injectors though..... some people have suggested a Z06 cam to me for use with boost... i will have to look around
I am doing my own custom rear mount I am picing up an 02 zo6 cam for the build .

Originally Posted by Zeke34
You'll definitely want to upgrade your fuel injectors, some people would say go with a set of 42# injectors but most would say 60# injectors.
Yeah I got 60's and a racetronics to start untill I want to turn up the boost
Old 07-22-2008, 06:28 AM
TECH Resident

check out my signature link
Old 07-22-2008, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jt76
how much boost are you going to run?

grab you the 255 Racetronix PnP kit with everything. then grab you some 42# injectors if you plan to stay under 525RWHP, otherwise get bigger ... not necessarily 60#ers but something up there.

you can use my fuel and injection sticky to calculate the injector and IFR you need, also use www.rceng.com and to go Technical sizing page
Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

i will kick your ***. seriously. dont.

christ just spray the car, lol. it will be faster i guarantee it.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Z06 cam is a good FI cam if your looking for near stock idle, however if you want a little lope you could go with something slightly bigger in the 22x/22X range and make more power with less boost. Also, as others have said def look into 42# or even 60# injectors. IMO I would say just get a procharger ds1c kit from EPP as I believe it comes with 42# injectors and you can get a front mount IC kit as well. 500 rwhp at 8psi is easily done and the system is extremely reliable. I would go procharger over a rear-mount system but front-mount system over a procharger. JMO.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Also, since you said you are already running a large cam im assuming you have long tubes so if you go rear-mount your would want to dump your headers to pick up some ls6 manifolds or shorty headers. With the procharger you could keep your longtubes. Also, a couple of local guys have run the sts setup and it is a decent system but it does have some headaches (water in filter, charge pipe leaks, keeping pipes hot enough to spool turbo faster, etc). Zombie has a great write-up on the pros and cons of an sts setup as he has one of, if not the fastest, f-body rear-mount setup on the board.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
i will kick your ***. seriously. dont.

christ just spray the car, lol. it will be faster i guarantee it.
haha Bill, i was waiting for it
Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

STS NOOOOO ! Dont bash me I have whats left of one 90% of its custom now. Go procharger D1SC 7-8 psi 550 -600 hp depending on heads cam and exhaust.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

You need to be brutally honest on what you are willing to undertake.

The STS kit has some great pluses, but several minuses as well. The oil return system + intercooling needs to be addressed. In short, you'll need a front-mount intercooler at any boost level for stable IAT's and I had to run a Mocal pump + oil restrictor to keep from oiling my intake pipes. This added to the price of the kit, obviously.

I had the STS on 5PSI w/ Patriot LQ9 heads and a CC228 cam on a 115LSA. At only 5PSI I put down 453RWHP. The car was unbeatable from a roll. I destroyed (and I mean totally humiliated) a new BMW M5 V10 on I64.....twice from 30-80+ That was fun. But, the STS requires a lot of "pre-flight" maintenance. Couplers come loose (even T-bolts), ground clearance is marginal at best (you will scape the driver-side pipe just prior to the rear wheel on occasion), had to upgrade the oil pump to a Mocal, add a restrictor, relocate the relays, remove the resistor, wrap the exhaust, mod the exhaust from the single tailpipe, etc.

The Procharger is a nice setup that's been around for several years. You get to deal w/ belt slip and IAT issue with that setup too.....but again the reward is nice fat HP and TRQ.

With both you get to sweat the day your stock shortblock grenades...... but that's the reality of FI till adding a forged shortblock.

If you're trying to do things on the "cheap", get 243 casting heads or 59cc heads and add to a mid-range cam. Add N2O for the track. If you're willing to spend the $$, then FI by all means. If I did it all again, I'd probably do the Procharger, as it would maintain my ground clearance and compliment the LT's that I ran (even when the STS was installed). Aside from that, the STS is very capable.....once you modify it

Do your research and take opinions for what they are...... good luck

Last edited by Schantin; 07-23-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Check out this Camaro we built with an STS turbo kit and the problems we ran into.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32 Bob
Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am doing a rear mount but I am doing all the work so it costing me way less then a pro charger kit . If you were to pay someone I would got pro charger so you dont get the added cost of the headaschs assosiated witch would start costing you a lot of money for a shop to fix
Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Schantin
You need to be brutally honest on what you are willing to undertake.

The STS kit has some great pluses, but several minuses as well. The oil return system + intercooling needs to be addressed. In short, you'll need a front-mount intercooler at any boost level for stable IAT's and I had to run a Mocal pump + oil restrictor to keep from oiling my intake pipes. This added to the price of the kit, obviously.

I had the STS on 5PSI w/ Patriot LQ9 heads and a CC228 cam on a 115LSA. At only 5PSI I put down 453RWHP. The car was unbeatable from a roll. I destroyed (and I mean totally humiliated) a new BMW M5 V12 on I64.....twice from 30-80+ That was fun. But, the STS requires a lot of "pre-flight" maintenance. Couplers come loose (even T-bolts), ground clearance is marginal at best (you will scape the driver-side pipe just prior to the rear wheel on occasion), had to upgrade the oil pump to a Mocal, add a restrictor, relocate the relays, remove the resistor, wrap the exhaust, mod the exhaust from the single tailpipe, etc.

The Procharger is a nice setup that's been around for several years. You get to deal w/ belt slip and IAT issue with that setup too.....but again the reward is nice fat HP and TRQ.

With both you get to sweat the day your stock shortblock grenades...... but that's the reality of FI till adding a forged shortblock.

If you're trying to do things on the "cheap", get 243 casting heads or 59cc heads and add to a mid-range cam. Add N2O for the track. If you're willing to spend the $$, then FI by all means. If I did it all again, I'd probably do the Procharger, as it would maintain my ground clearance and compliment the LT's that I ran (even when the STS was installed). Aside from that, the STS is very capable.....once you modify it

Do your research and take opinions for what they are...... good luck
Yeah I should of went procharger a F1 unit will kick *** on my car
Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Wtf is this crap Jim?

Quick Reply: Thinking about going with an STS turbo kit