Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Blown head gasket?

Had some spirited runs on the highway the other night with some bikes. Got home and for some odd reason decided to look at my radiator overflow tank and it was full to the top. The radiator cap was bad so I replaced it. No pushing water after that (yet) but idling with the radiator cap off, there are some small bubbles that come up at a constant pace. It will build pressure when cold too. I'm thinking it's time to replace the head gaskets Not sure why this happened but the engine did overheat not too long ago due to my water pump taking a dump. Would that have caused it? I doubt it's my tune since it's pretty fat and safe and there is over 4000 miles on the motor. BTW, GM MLS 3 layer gaskets, ARP studs, 15psi. Heads were never retorqued after heat cycling.

Last edited by SilverSS; 08-12-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you lifted the heads.Probly have to replace atleast 1 gasket.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use stock cheap single leayer gaskets with a light coat of engine enamel on them, put together while tacky...they are damn near bullet proof. Been beating the hell out of it for 2 years, stock head bolts, 15psi, and nitrous.

I looked at one of those MLS gaskets once...never used one, but i would think the more layers you have the more areas you have to leak or blow out...just my opinion.. and mine works fine.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well looks like the heads are coming off then. I'm gonna do both gaskets since I need to upgrade my lifters. Anyone recommend a better kind of head gasket?

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket?