Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

No LY6 Turbo'd Users?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Default No LY6 Turbo'd Users?

I did a quick search for turbo LY6, and found nothing. Is there any specific reason? I have not purchased my motor yet, and contemplating using an LY6 (L92 heads if I am correct?). Any reason I should not? Performance parts not available, or VVT not yet refined for aftermarket? I did search first, please forward opinions, thanks.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a LY6 in my truck with a magnacharger TVS on it. The only problem I ran into with the VVT was during cruising. The tables for VVT really retard the cam during low rpm, low load cruising. This creates a situation where the MAP can get up to 90kpa while just cruising along. The high MAP under cruising conditions creates what I like to call "supercruise". It feels like it's just floating along effortlessly.

The bypass valve on the blower is made to start closing in low vacuum conditions so all the sudden while cruising along I'd be into boost which kinda defeats the purpose of the VVT in those situations. This might be an issue with a wastegate/bypass also but, is easily programmed out. I used EFILive to do it but, the other software suites out there might be able to do it also.

The only other time the VVT works is as RPMs rise it starts retarding the cam. On my truck it retards the cam up to 8 degrees by 5600 rpm. On some other calibrations it's a little different but, not much. This seems to have no ill effects with boost.

Hope that helps some.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Also, the heads on my truck are casting 823 which I do believe is considered a L92 head. They are the big rectangular port heads.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Old 08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Moderately Differentiated

LMAO you forgot to take the truck part out of your sig. LMAO

Quick Reply: No LY6 Turbo'd Users?