Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Tank Presurizing and wont take gas HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Angry Fuel Tank Presurizing and wont take gas HELP!

this has been going on for a few years now. before if the tank got below 1/4 tank it would do this, now (after a walbro fuel pump install) it does it all the time. im sick of it and need some help bad.

basically the fuel tank presurizes. you know the little silver flapper under the filler cap were you put the nozzle in, well there is another one down at the bottom of the filler neck where it meets the tank. (assuming)

so what happens is the fuel tank while driving presurizes and locks that flapper/valve shut locking the presure in the tank, and also not letting fuel into the tank(refueling). so when you go to put gas in the car it puts about a quart of fuel in the filler neck then starts spilling out onto the ground. so i take and hard tube or wire, and shuve it down the filler neck about 2 feet until it pops that lower valve well when it does it shoots gas and air out right at me at like 30 psi. and its not short its probly 2-3 seconds before it full releaves all the pressure. its a LOT of pressure. and of course covers me in gas, and well all know how impossible it is to get that smell off you.

this is VERY agrivating, for the first years i would always just fill up before it got to a 1/4 tank to avoid this. now with the new pump its all the time.
what is causing this and more importantly
HOW DO I FIX IT?!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm Mike Hutto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
this has been going on for a few years now. before if the tank got below 1/4 tank it would do this, now (after a walbro fuel pump install) it does it all the time. im sick of it and need some help bad.

basically the fuel tank presurizes. you know the little silver flapper under the filler cap were you put the nozzle in, well there is another one down at the bottom of the filler neck where it meets the tank. (assuming)

so what happens is the fuel tank while driving presurizes and locks that flapper/valve shut locking the presure in the tank, and also not letting fuel into the tank(refueling). so when you go to put gas in the car it puts about a quart of fuel in the filler neck then starts spilling out onto the ground. so i take and hard tube or wire, and shuve it down the filler neck about 2 feet until it pops that lower valve well when it does it shoots gas and air out right at me at like 30 psi. and its not short its probly 2-3 seconds before it full releaves all the pressure. its a LOT of pressure. and of course covers me in gas, and well all know how impossible it is to get that smell off you.

this is VERY agrivating, for the first years i would always just fill up before it got to a 1/4 tank to avoid this. now with the new pump its all the time.
what is causing this and more importantly
HOW DO I FIX IT?!
You've got a vent tube thats crushed/blocked. Check all your EVAP stuff on top of the tank..If you removed it all you need to install a rollover vent fitting on top of the tank to relieve the pressure. it has a check ball in it that will close if the car rolls over but will vent right side up.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

not familiar with evap stuff. i havent removed anything. outside the tank that is. they have you remove alot of stuff on the inside of the FP bucket inside of the tank for the walbro fuel pump.
where do you install the vent? where do i get one? do are tanks (99-02) have bladders? if so drilling the top of the tank wouldnt work.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Check the line to the charcoal cannister..
Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

probably your vent solenoid we change about a dozen a month at the shop i work in.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

never heard of it. where is it located?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rollover valve is causing you to not be able to put fuel in the tank. But it is not causing the tank to pressurize. As stated eariler you have a vent line collapsed or kinked somewhere.

Re'
Old 04-12-2010, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same problem here

x2

never heard of it. where is it located?

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Presurizing and wont take gas HELP!