Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

I think my fuel pump is going...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my fuel pump is going...Help!

I was driving on the highway yesterday and noticed my car wasen't driving right. When I pressed the gas down, especially with the car being in mid to high RPMS in a lower gear (3rd or 4th) the car would try to accelerate, then would feel as if it were not getting any fuel or missing. Car would not clear up if I stayed on the gas, would just keep hesitating and not accelerate.

At first I thought I fouled out a plug or one wire came loose. I checked all of the wires and they are on tight, the plugs I have not looked at yet.

I also bought a new fuel filter incase mine was clogged and also added STP gas treatment as I was fueling up. Still didn't help.

Now I noticed an electrical "humming" sound comming from the rear of the car which only leads me to believe that its the fuel pump. My car has 73k on it and atleast the whole time I owned it from 54k I never changed the fuel pump or anything fuel related. Just cleaned the injectors.

Also I think it should be noted that the day I noticed this all happen I did run out of gas. As soon as I felt the car fighting to stay running and stopped and just got some gas in a container, I didn't keep attempting to drive it as everytime I started it I could feel it cutting out. Once I filled it, it ran fine, then a few hrs later I noticed it running rough. Could be a coincidence, maybe not?

Any help is appreciated here, I priced a fuel pump today and it was in excess of $400, I really don't have that money right now as of work hrs being cut...Any way around this?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that running out of fuel is instant death for our fuel pumps. Where did you get the price from for that fuel pump?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I heard that running out of fuel is instant death for our fuel pumps. Where did you get the price from for that fuel pump?
fuckfuckfuck....advanced auto parts gave me that quote.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

check your fuel pressure man Idk how much psi its supposed to be but if its low or you have none you need to get a new fuel pump. Also when you put the car in "Run " mode you should hear the pump activate . its like a muffled humming noise
Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, definitely check the fuel pressure first, but running low , or out of fuel is bad for the pumps and injectors. Think of the fuel as lubrication for the internals of the pump and injectors. Also I try to keep my tank from going below 1/4 tank. With more fuel in the tank it allows the pump to be submerged and the fuel helps keep the pump cool as well.

$400 is on the high side compared to what is out there. I'm looking at upgrading my stock pump to a racetronix pump whitch allows more flow and fuel system security for high hp cars. I think on their web sit it was around $210-220 for the pump. Just check their site out if you end up needing a pump.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

you can get a 255 pump for 100 shipped from many of the sponsers. add a hotwire kit and your good. all for under 200 dollars.