Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pressure - 98 SS return style

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pressure - 98 SS return style

Has anyone taken fuel pressure guage to a 98 return line style . With the engine off , but the pump primed I get 60 psi.... but it doesn't hold it ..it drops off fast. When I crank it it stays at 60 ...however the car has been trouble starting for a while...only wih a jump start(50 amps) will it start. I changed the fuel filter and that seemed to help the pressure( it was real dirty).
I'm also getting that electrical draw from fuse #7 pwr accy which I've been unable to stop ( removed the trunk mechanism, door locks, radio, etc) which has been killing my batteries(3 in a month). I also have a slightly fluttering fuel guage- but only in neutral/park. I upgraded to 4 guage wire (alt, starter, bat acc). Checked most of my grounds and cleaned and replaced- I'm just stumped.
On 98 's where is the regulator? Shouldn't it be able to keep the pressure - even only on priming? Or is the return line bleeding off the excess fuel to the tank? I'm sure they're separarte issues but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

Reg is in the tank by the pump. The pump check valve is not holding pressure. Not a big deal if you turn the key twice before starting if it fires right away its the problem. But really sounds like a voltage issue if your are killing batteries and will only start with a jump. Got to find that draw.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, I just got the car started, went for a 30 min drive. Volts started at 14.5 then after 30 min dropped to 13. Pulled out the 7 pwr accy fuse and started it 2 min later ..it started...waited another 15 min ..it's started. I just have to find that draw. With a test light as a guide, I disconnected the trunk release, pwr door locks, window, side mirror motor, asr button, fog light, and puled the air pump fuse...still can't get the test light to go out ...it's a big draw. I'm at a loss.