Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

leaking an fittings

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default leaking an fittings

i have a set of fast fuel rails with black earls fitting and black hose and i have leaks at the an connections has anyone had this issue before?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Usually it is overtightening of the fittings. Try backing them off a couple times and lightyl reseating them.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where exactly is it leaking? At the male-to-female connections, or is it the hose ends themselves?

The male-to-female connections should be fairly easy to trouble shoot - the seal is made with the 37* flare surfaces, so if either side is gouged, it will cause problems with the seal. I know they make soft metal (like copper or aluminum) 37 degree seats that you can put over the existing ones that can seal gouges if you have them, but you might end up needing new fittings altogether.

As stated above, overtightening of these fittings can cause problems, and is why a lot of the manufacturers recommend you use the special AN fitting wrenches to tighten them. They are stubby for a reason, and that is to keep you from putting too much muscle behind it.

If the hose ends themselves (the part that actually cuts in to the hose), that could be any one of a number of things, but probably due to an assembly error.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its actually leaking at the male to female connections i just took it apart again and cleaned all the connections real good and it still leaks, ive noticed in past projects that after ive taken these apart i can see a ring where they actually seat usually about a mm down from the top on these i see no ring at all, do you think there is a chance that the angles between the earls fittings and the fittings that came with the FAST rails are different?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AN fittings are all standard, and all use a 37* flare as the sealing surface. That said, if they had a bad batch that are out of tolerance, it could be a problem. Sounds like you might need to try a new set of fittings.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Dry them off, color the fitting cone w/ magic marker, screw them together. Then remove and take a look at the contact pattern.... [or, the lack of]
Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also remember not to use teflon tape or pipe sealant with AN fittings. It is the seat that creates the seal and using teflon disrupts the seal. NPT fittings can use teflon or pipie sealant because the threads are tapered to create the seal.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

worst case...try using seco7 seals...

www.secoseals.com

Quick Reply: leaking an fittings