Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel system problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system problem

I have a Trans Am that I am having some fuel problems I cant seem to figure out. It first started when the wife was driving to work and the car started sputtering for a mile or two and then died, the car would crank and crank but no fire ( car had a 1/4 tank). So I trailered the car home and had a friend bang above the fuel pump in the trunk and the car started, after some running around I decided to try and start the car again just to see if it would start and it was dead. I figured wiring was bad or pump took a **** so I attempted to drop the tank but the stock exhaust is all rusted together and requires cutting up and I dont really have the money right now for a new exhaust. A few days later I jump the car and yet again and 3-4 hours later battery is dead. I skipped dropping the tank for the time being, yesterday I had a friend hook up his fuel pressure gauge and the car is 56-58 psi at idle and WOT and switched the relay from the air pump to the fuel pump. Today I checked to see if the car would start and it did but had a hard time, so there is still a parasitic loss. I cannot hear the pump still running after car is off and the car hold fuel pressure when it is shut off, I need this car back on the road soon as the wife keeps bitching and im going to kill her.

- good fuel pressure
- battery dies 3-4 hours later after running
- no check engine lights
- all fuses are good
- switched relays and doesnt die as fast, but still dies

Any help is greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance

Last edited by shitstang; 04-26-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Teching In

So I finally pulled the pump out and everything looks good, no chaffed wires or anything of the nature. My guess is the pump may be tempermental and on its way out. Tomorrow im going to get the car started and test voltage while car is off and see if i can find where the power drain is coming from.

If anyone has any ideas please share as im almost out of them.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Update: I ended up replacing the pump and starts and runs but after sitting for a few hours battery dies. Does anyone have schematics of the fuel system wiring so I can look for problems in the wiring.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Have you checked the alternator?