Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation fuel issue

so here's the problem,

i was going to get the car tuned but it seems that my fuel ratio drops down alot (to 13)at high rpms which even cause the car to do some backfiring sounds.

i've been told that it's because of the fuel pressure regulator.
now ofc the stock one is assembled with the fuel pump itself in the assembly.
---
so i'm thinking of getting the racetronix kit with everything, only problem is my T/A is stock in everyway except the Headers ... "Bolt on's".

would i be better off with a stock oe replacement?
or would racetronix be way much better.

i've been told that i might have some issues with the fuel term in the tune later on

i really have low knowledge so, your opinions are appreciated.

Ws6 02 T/A M6
mods:
Texas speed 1-7/8 headers
Monster Stage 3.
ported ls1 tb,ls2 maf,slp lid, ls6 intake.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

so your fuel ratio goes lean (high) to 13s at high rpms? that actually isn't that lean and shouldn't be causing backfiring. Is this measured via a wideband?

you are better off purchasing the racetronix (walbro) PnP kit with wiring harness.

fuel term? you must mean fuel trims.

also, what fuel injectors are you running? and do you have a data logger such as hptuners or efi live? or a scan tool? We need to know the maximum injector duty cycle?

has the car EVER been programmed with any tune?

another thing to do, is rent or hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the stock fuel rail (driver side front of the rail) and read the fuel pressure at idle, it should be 58psi. It would be nice to know your WOT fuel pressure at high rpms to know if the pump is failing or not or not driving enough fuel to the rail...not sure if you have a fuel pressure gauge that is installed or you can install to watch the pressure at 5krpm
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

the car was tuned before in the U.S.
although the car now is in Bahrain (Near Saudi arabia)
and i run 95% fuel i believe you call it premium over there.
actually no i have non of those of which you asked for, although i know that the car has only those mods that i listed.. everything else is STOCK.

well i'm not sure what the tuner did but i'm sure that @ high rpm's the car will shot every second if not twice in a second.

i have the urge to get the racetronix although as said i might have issue's with the fuel trims later on with the tune so..

lets dis-include that possibility.

would racetronix be sufficient and cause no problems on my stockish motor, fuel or any other? or would an OEM be better?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

if you add racetronix pump, you won't encounter anything different than what you have now; it will however increase your fuel capability.

how can you say the fuel ratio drops down to 13s at high rpms if you don't have a wideband/scanner? was this seen on the dyno?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

i wasn't there to witness what's going on.
i'm 100% sure that he's got HP Tuners and the wide band and the scanner.

since you brought it up.. fuel capability as in spend more fuel or get more which will cause spending anyway?

And another thing.. the only thing wrong with my fuel module is that the fuel pressure regulator next to the pump isn't doing its job quiet well. (i've been told).
so by getting the racetronix am i going to actually fix that issue?

i really am lost here but i know that i want racetronix lol.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

you will not fix the problem unless you remove/replace that fuel pressure regulator. Or remove that regulator and install entirely new unit separate from the tank.

talk to Lonnies, Nasty N8 (sponsors here) that can get you set straight on what you need.

installing a larger fuel pump doesn't change your fuel use unless you change the injectors also. Are you running the stock injectors still? The only way to know for certain your fuel pressure... is to install a FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE and monitor it from idle to WOT (wide open throttle). You could either be going lean due to low fuel pressure, or maxing out the injectors.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND FINDING OUT THE PROBLEM... in other words, get some fittings to mate up to the schrader valve on the front of the factory fuel rail, a fuel pressure gauge and see what it is doing.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

i've heard about nasty performance from my brother.. i'll see what more i can find out.
thanks ZL1Killa appreciate your help here.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

I think it is important that you understand the fuel system in the car as it is and how it works.

then also, whoever you talk to when you purchase/upgrade to a racetronix pump and/or a different fuel pressure regulator, please also understand how that will work
Old 10-24-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i basically do my research every time i'm going to change anything, i'm always looking for something better and that's why i thought of the racetronix just didn't know it wouldn't fix the problem.. I've been calling Nasty lately and i always get their voice-mail.

i'm really considering getting the original part as i don't see that i'm going to do more upgrades for a long time.

I'll keep this thread updated with what happens.

Quick Reply: fuel issue