Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

AN Fitting Into Braided Line.. Wrong Fitting? Or Bad Hose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default AN Fitting Into Braided Line.. Wrong Fitting? Or Bad Hose?

Been watching every video that is out there about installing AN fittings on braided steel lines.. Every single one looks like the red piece slides on - with some resistance, but not an extreme amount.

Trying to install mine, I cannot get the red fitting on. The hose seems to be way too big for the fitting. I did manage to get it on about 30% of the way, but it ruined the braid below the fitting and the inner diameter of the hose went down to less than 1/4" because it was being compressed so much. Here are some pictures. The OD of the hose is greater than the OD OF THE FITTING - is that normal?? and the fitting ID is way less than the OD of the hose!

I used all the fittings listed in this post - post #5 https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ttings-me.html

I bought the Spectre braided steel line, 3/8", since it had the best reviews out of all of them. I just now realized that it is the AZ brand.. Is this my issue?
Old 03-26-2015, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

From my experience most manufacturers state that you need to use the matched fittings for the respective hose. Are you mixing and matching suppliers for hose and fittings?

Andrew
Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Assuming that you're using the same brand of hose and fittings, it can be tricky job the first few times. If the braid starts to fray and unravel, the game is lost.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default The id of

the fitting is "threaded. Pushing it straight on will do what you are seeing. Start the hose, being SURE the braid is inside.[I use a small screw driver to poke any stray braid in]. I then screw it together.
Koul Tools make a neat tool for this purpose....
http://www.koultools.com/
Old 04-08-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys, turns out the hose was wrong. I did not get the same brand hose (didn't know this at the time). Turns out the hose I ordered was just made for clamps.

I got some brand matching hose and all the fittings went together flawlessly

Thanks for the tip on getting same brand hose!

Quick Reply: AN Fitting Into Braided Line.. Wrong Fitting? Or Bad Hose?