Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with depressurization of fuel line

Background info:

Year: 2001
Model: Camaro z28
Miles at purchase: ~40,000
Miles: ~80,000
Reason for tearing down: The engine is burning oil and coolant. Previous owner had sprayed nitrous for an unknown period of time. Trying to find the extent of the damage to the engine.
Attached: Pictures of the fuel rail addition I refer to below.

Problem:

In order for me to remove my fuel rails and intake I need to first get my fuel line depressurized. Typically I know you can just use the Schrader valve on the driver side fuel rail. On my driver side rail, where the valve would normally be, is an attachment for the fuel pressure sensor. This was installed by the previous owner. Since there is a cap on the end I assume the valve should be behind that, but I wanted to see if this looks familiar to anyone else first as I would like to avoid fuel spraying everything in the event it's not.

If that doesn't look typical of a Schrader valve, is there another way to release the pressure on the line without the relay trick? The battery is completely dead and I already have the entire cooling system out of the car.

tl;dr: Does that look like a Schrader valve behind the black cap? If not, how else can I release fuel pressure without a battery?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give on the situation at hand.

Thanks,
Nick
Attached Thumbnails Help with depressurization of fuel line-1.jpg   Help with depressurization of fuel line-2.jpg   Help with depressurization of fuel line-3.jpg   Help with depressurization of fuel line-4.jpg   Help with depressurization of fuel line-5.jpg  

Old 06-28-2016, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

It looks like it would be. Should be good to open it. Just grab some rags for any spills
Old 06-28-2016, 07:00 PM
Teching In

I removed the cap and only a tiny bit of gas game out. This doesn't appear to be able to release my pressure off the fuel line. Do you think it would be safe to remove that pressure sensor entirely and the blue valve it attaches into?

I attached a picture from the front of the valve, and also from an endoscope showing the inside of it.
Attached Thumbnails Help with depressurization of fuel line-img_20160628_195206.jpg   Help with depressurization of fuel line-img_20160628_195108.jpg  
Old 06-28-2016, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

You would be fine removing the sensor if needed. Do it slowly and wear eye protection!
Old 06-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Is there anything else I am able to due to ensure that the fuel line is depressurized?
Old 06-29-2016, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Separate the fuel lines, or pull an injector out of the rail, but that will get even more explosive than just unscrewing a sensor. If you unscrew that sensor most but not all the way you might be able to get it to dribble out rather than spray out.

Quick Reply: Help with depressurization of fuel line