Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Which F'in fuel pump?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which F'in fuel pump?!?

I need to upgrade my fuel pump, I want to order one real soon, but I can't decide what pump to get. I was gonna go Racetronix, but a friend of mine said a Walboro 255 would be just fine and a little less expensive. But I see stuff on the Walboro like "needs minor modification" WTF? And then the Racetronix just hooks right up? As far as spending money, that's not a issue with me. I need a fuel pump, and one that isn't going to be a PITA to install.

Your thoughts please.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:40 PM
FormerVendor

The Walbro just takes a little inginuity to get in the stock housing I keep them in stock. $129.99 They are the same exact pump Racetronix uses in there kit that is a bolt in.

Nate
Old 08-08-2005, 11:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
The Walbro just takes a little inginuity to get in the stock housing I keep them in stock. $129.99 They are the same exact pump Racetronix uses in there kit that is a bolt in.

Nate
A little ingenuity? Same pump???

The 1999 & up LS1 F-body cars have a pump that is inside a plastic fill-bucket. The fill-bucket is equipped with two inlets on the bottom. The equalization checkvalve is used to fill the bucket when the level of fuel in the tank is greater than in the bucket. The equalization checkvalve does not allow fuel to exit the bucket. The venturi system's inlet is a combination checkvalve and powered suction system. The factory pump supplies pressurized fuel via a small tube which feeds a calibrated jet inside the venturi system. This jet of fuel shoots across the base of the checkvalve inlet thereby creating a suction effect which draws more fuel from the bottom of the tank through the filter sock. This venturi system keeps the bucket full all the time even when the fuel tank is almost empty. A full bucket keeps the pump immersed in fuel regardless of the tank level so that when the tank is low on gas and you are doing some hard cornering or acceleration the pump does not run dry and start aerating (air bubbles) the fuel. This happens as the fuel sloshes from side to side in the tank leaving the center low on fuel. This can cause detonation and possible engine damage. The 99+ F-LS1 cars with plastic tanks have no baffling in them so the bucket is very important. The bucket also allows the car to operate with lower fuel levels in the tank due to its scavenging effect. The fill-bucket improves motor crank-to-run time as the priming time is reduced under most conditions. The return line feeds the pressure regulator on the fuel module which diverts fuel back into the bucket so that the unused fuel also helps keep it full at all times. Keeping the pump constantly immersed in gas within the bucket can extend the pump's life by not allowing it to be exposed to open air. Open air within the tank contains moisture and in time will cause the pump to rust / seize up especially if left to sit for long periods of time without the tank topped-up (i.e. winter storage).

The Racetronix pump assembly is designed to fit in the factory pump location. The Racetronix pump is equipped with a factory type fuel tube not a rubber hose. This fuel tube is important as when the fuel module is placed back in the tank it must bend sharply which can cause standard rubber hose to kink. This fuel tube is much more resistant to the solvents in today’s gas and it will not crack, split, swell and collapse like a rubber hose. This is why G.M. uses them as OE equipment.

The Racetronix pump assembly is equipped with an outlet which supplies the factory venturi system which is required to keep the factory system functional! All other pump solutions to date do not have this feature which requires a hole be punched in the bottom of the fill-bucket thereby dangerously disabling its functionality.

The Racetronix fuel module is equipped with a one-piece soldered wiring harness made from mil spec. Teflon silver-plated wire. This is the same type of wire used at the factory as Teflon is the most resistant to deterioration when exposed to gas. This harness has a Walbro connector at one end and a GM F-LS1 connector at the other which plugs directly inside the factory connector. No crimping, splicing or wiring adapters are required. A truly plug & play wiring solution. Due to the age of some F-LS1 cars much of the in-tank connectors are black / corroded. The Racetronix harness replaces all these questionable components.

The Pumps The Racetronix F-LS1 pump assembly is based on Walbro gerotor pump technology utilizing the most powerful armature and gear set currently available. Walbro has set the industry standard in high-performance in-tank pumps. Walbro pumps are QS9000 certified and are used as OE equipment in many production performance vehicles such as the C5 Corvette. Walbro's gerotor design is able to maintain high pressures while providing high volumes as well. This is done by squeezing the fuel out between two gears instead of pushing it like most factory vane pumps do. (i.e. factory F-LS1 pump). This positive displacement design makes high-performance Walbro pumps small, light weight, quiet, efficient and reliable. Tests in the field have proven the Racetronix F99+ system will support upwards of 600RWHP and 700RWTQ in some applications. This system in combination with our upcoming PnP fuel rail-mounted return regulator system will extend the pump systems HP support and help stabilize fuel pressure at the motor.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 08-09-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

That looks like a good product...

Im not much on walbro..... A pump like the bosch big screen that Doug Rippie uses alot seems to be built alot better than a plastic walbro... I have installed walbros in cars before but the bosch pumps are quieter, tougher and on forced induction cars the better flow at higher pressures is another plus... A walbro that beats the bosch at base fuel pressure gets passed by the bosch in GPM when its base + 25psi boost reference.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just my 2 cents. I just installed the racetronix kit last weekend. It's stupidly easy. The wiring harness directly hooks into the stock system and provides constant power. The pump is a direct swap with the stock one and the directions are easy to follow. With the racetronix theres not cutting or modification of your stock bucket at all. If money is no object go with the racetronix. Harris Speed Works just did a GP on them and they were really solid to work with. Give Matt over there a call and I'm sure he can help you.

Good Luck!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

I ordered one Tuesday from HSW.