Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

new pump and have to turn key twice to prime system

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default new pump and have to turn key twice to prime system

I'm not sure where to start with this. I installed a walbro 255 pump over a year ago and recently it started to whine. I commute 100mi a day so as a preventive measure I decided to replace it. Better safe than sorry.

I ordered a walbro 255, but the dealer didn't have them in stock and they were on back order. My car was down and needed it up ASAP. They had the Racetronix setup on the shelf and told them to shoot it my way. The install went without a hitch and the pump assembly and wiring was well thought out. Really nice kit. I do have an aeromotive FPR next to the tank plumped up to replace the stock FPR. I started up the car and hooked up a mechanical FP gauge and set the pressure at ~58psi.

Now I am having a slight issue with startup. I have to turn the key twice to build up enough pressure to start the engine. So my first question is what is the FP that the system should maintain when the car is off?

I had to cut up the bucket because at the time the 99+ Racetronix setup was not available. At this point I am not sure if that is the culprit i.e. the pump isn't hooked up with the extra line coming out of the top of the pump. Could that cause a problem with it losing fuel pressure?

If I have to buy the stock untouched bucket to go with the racetronix so be it, but I wasn't having this problem before.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sscam68
I'm not sure where to start with this. I installed a walbro 255 pump over a year ago and recently it started to whine. I commute 100mi a day so as a preventive measure I decided to replace it. Better safe than sorry.

I ordered a walbro 255, but the dealer didn't have them in stock and they were on back order. My car was down and needed it up ASAP. They had the Racetronix setup on the shelf and told them to shoot it my way. The install went without a hitch and the pump assembly and wiring was well thought out. Really nice kit. I do have an aeromotive FPR next to the tank plumped up to replace the stock FPR. I started up the car and hooked up a mechanical FP gauge and set the pressure at ~58psi.

Now I am having a slight issue with startup. I have to turn the key twice to build up enough pressure to start the engine. So my first question is what is the FP that the system should maintain when the car is off?

I had to cut up the bucket because at the time the 99+ Racetronix setup was not available. At this point I am not sure if that is the culprit i.e. the pump isn't hooked up with the extra line coming out of the top of the pump. Could that cause a problem with it losing fuel pressure?

If I have to buy the stock untouched bucket to go with the racetronix so be it, but I wasn't having this problem before.
The small line MUST be hooked up to the top of the pump as shown in the instructions. It would be best to get a used bucket that is intact.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 09-13-2005, 08:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racetronix
The small line MUST be hooked up to the top of the pump as shown in the instructions. It would be best to get a used bucket that is intact.
Edit: I placed the order for the assembly.

Could that be part of the problem?

Last edited by sscam68; 09-13-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a serch, seems like people with Racetronix have had same probs.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sscam68
Edit: I placed the order for the assembly.

Could that be part of the problem?
Yes, it could be part of the problem. Either way the fitting on top of the pump must be hooked up to the factory jet pump's plastic feedline.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 09-14-2005, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racetronix
Yes, it could be part of the problem. Either way the fitting on top of the pump must be hooked up to the factory jet pump's plastic feedline.
Thanks.

I'll install the new assembly and see what kind of an effect it has.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 72ChevelleConv.LS1
Do a serch, seems like people with Racetronix have had same probs.
I did run a search, for the problem in general, but didn't find much.