Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

My Fuel Rails

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Fuel Rails

Check this out, I welded -08AN fittings and a large cross-over tube to my stock LT1 rails. This was done get the rails up to par with the rest of the fuel system, which is in the works, to feed a 650-700rwhp FI 383 LT1.
Let me know what you think.

The cross-over tube is .540 o.d. aluminum tubing, where the stock cross-over was barely a 5/16 o.d. steel piece.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the rest of the system, Im looking into sumping my stock tank, -10an to Speed Inc filter, -10an to Bosch 420L pump, -08an to rails, -08 to regulator, -06an return to the stock fuel sending unit.
Basically, a speed inc system without their tank or rails for budget concerns.
Speed inc claims there system has run all the way up to 700rwhp which should be just enough for me.
If i need more pump, It'll just be a matter of getting another pump, filter, and a y-block. Im either going to be running Mototron 60# injectors at a higher FP or 75's @ 45psi with a versafueler for the time being.
I think Im on the right track, but if anyone thinks otherwise I'd like to know.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fire67
Check this out, I welded -08AN fittings and a large cross-over tube to my stock LT1 rails. This was done get the rails up to par with the rest of the fuel system, which is in the works, to feed a 650-700rwhp FI 383 LT1.
Let me know what you think.

The cross-over tube is .540 o.d. aluminum tubing, where the stock cross-over was barely a 5/16 o.d. steel piece.

One thing i would be carefull with is the ends of those fuel rails, as they have a little plate with an o ring behind it on each end and then the ends are swaged over, normally when you weld so close to the end of the rails as you did, the o rings melt a bit and will be prone to leaking, i would cut 1/16th of the dead ends of the rails and knock out those little plates with a long screwdriver and weld a little cutoff peice or barstock into the holes to assure they wont leak, that's what i had to do with mine, peice of mind is everything on a build like your doing

best of luck to ya
Old 12-20-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOLLIDROLLAH
One thing i would be carefull with is the ends of those fuel rails, as they have a little plate with an o ring behind it on each end and then the ends are swaged over, normally when you weld so close to the end of the rails as you did, the o rings melt a bit and will be prone to leaking, i would cut 1/16th of the dead ends of the rails and knock out those little plates with a long screwdriver and weld a little cutoff peice or barstock into the holes to assure they wont leak, that's what i had to do with mine, peice of mind is everything on a build like your doing

best of luck to ya
You know, I was just thinking about that and I just wasnt sure if those caps did in fact have o-rings. Im glad you pointed that out.... I'll definitely plug those ends now.
Does anyone on here have any specific experience with the Bosch 420Lph pump?
I was wondering how the flow is affected by the higher fuel pressures (60psi or so) that I'd be running if I went with 60# injectors.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I cut off the swaged ends and popped those plugs out, the o-rings were definitely melted... Again good call SOLLIDROLLAH.
Anyway I fabricated some plugs out of aluminum bar stock and they'll be welded in today. After I fabbed the plugs on the lathe, I realized those plugs were aluminum and that I could have cleaned the rubber off and just had those welded back in. I like the look of my custom plugs better though so Im gonna use those.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:23 PM
FormerVendor

Be careful with the sumped stock tank I have seen several leak when done. The 420L is a very good pump but is at its max for your application. You may just get more power from the 60#ers than the 75 as they are more efficiant and easier to tune.

Nate
Old 12-21-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Be careful with the sumped stock tank I have seen several leak when done. The 420L is a very good pump but is at its max for your application. You may just get more power from the 60#ers than the 75 as they are more efficiant and easier to tune.

Nate
Im pretty confident with the skills of my local welder, he has assured me that it wont leak when done. He also said it'd be a good idea to seal the tank afterwards to prevent future leaks.

The 60#'s are more efficient?

I was wondering about the flow capabilities of that pump. Speed inc has run it up to 700rwhp but with 45psi going through 75# injectors. I figured that 55-60psi with the 60#'s would drop it out of ideal flow range.
Which single pump would you recommend?
Keep in mind that I have already obtained fittings and lines as a gift to plumb as follows:
-10an feed to filter and pump
-8an feed from pump to rails
-8an from rails to requlator
-6an return from reg. to tank
I guess I could still run dual pumps with a boost activation switch on one and a y-block to my -8an feed.
Trust me, If I had any bigger of a budget, I'd buy one of those Nasty fuel cells in a hearbeat.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Coal Mining Director

Your fuel line sizes are fine. Trust me on your pump set-up....you only want to do it once as it will be cheaper and safer in the long run.

At 13.2V the Bosch 044 pump (called 420L which is wrong) flows 420lbs/hour at 50psi....safe for 800ish engine hp. At 70psi it drops to 390lb/hr ~ 750 engine hp.

Plumb a second -8an inlet from your sump and run two Bosch 044 pumps. One on the street and the second pump activated by a Hoobs switch or just wire it to a manual switch and turn it on when you're ready.

Also, boost reference your regulator so it will ramp the fuel pressure 1:1 while under boost....that will keep the 60's flowing much more fuel.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Aeromotive just emailed back confirming the line size being ok, they suggested their Eliminator pump with reducer fittings to get the fuel supply needed.
So that Bosch pump is not actually 420 Liters per hour, its pounds per hour?
onfire: Could you fill me in on where you found the flow information on that pump?
Do you know anywhere cheaper than Speed Inc to get that pump?
The boost referenced FPR is already in the works from Speed Inc.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Coal Mining Director

That pump sells for ~ $320 everywhere. It's an OEM pump so the quality is premium. I bought two of them from Kinsler and they flowed the pumps. 420L has been quoted all over the internet and is wrong. The other great thing about the Bosch 044 is the flow curve....most pumps like the walbro nose dive from 70 to 100psi but the Bosch has a very gradual fall off...it's still pumping 350lb/hr at 100psi....the Walbro drops like a stone to 260lb/hr at 100psi....I know we don't run that much pressure, but my base is 58 plus 20psi of future boost = 78psi of fuel needed....even with wear the Bosch will be fine.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

We use the Weldon 600A pump We have seen 785 Cog driven blower RWHP Mustang Dyno with 60#ers.

Nate
Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the 1:1 regulator, according to the math I'll need 48-50psi base, with 15psi boost pushing that up to 63-65psi as an estimate anyway. I feel safer figuring pump flow to be sufficient at 65-70psi. Im going to look into running two bosch pumps or even that Weldon 600A... I've just got to see which route will be the cheapest.
Thanks for the insite and helpful info guys!

I finally welded the plugs I made into the ends of the fuel rails, I try to get a pic up this afternoon.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Coal Mining Director

Hey, don't take this wrong as I respect Nate and the great service he provides. However, if you look at the flow graph of the A600 on Weldon's site it just doen't flow the numbers as compared to the hp it has supported. I even talked to Jim Craig at Weldon as I wanted to use the A600 instead of buying two Bosch pumps. He told me not to use it. Look at the flow chart first. Could be the A600 pump Weldon flowed is weaker than what is being sold....tough call.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Coal Mining Director

http://www.weldonracing.com/600a_chart.html
Old 12-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Coal Mining Director

Weldo a600 50psi 14V = 425lb/hr.....70psi = 367lb/hr.........100psi = 281lb/hr.

Some folks have taken that pump to big hp but it will have to be at low pressures or Weldon's flow chart is wrong.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I looked into the Weldon, and according to the flow charts, the only way its gonna fuel my beast is if I run two of them. Then it would be overkill both on flow and price tag.
Im looking into running two bosch pumps, two smaller aeromotives, or a single aeromotive eliminator. I found the bosch pumps as low as $225 before shipping, and im working on finding the best price possible on the other pumps. Im going to go with the cheaper route, but which will it be? If I run the big single pump, I'll need the aeromotive controller to keep the fuel somewhat cool, and if I run two pumps, one will be hooked up on a hobbs switch to turn on when the boost comes on.
Thanks for all the info, I'll post up more as I get it figured out.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just got my competition engineering fuel sump from summit, pulled the tank sheild and tried to test fit it... It seems the only way it will fit is to either lower the muffler somehow or modify the sump to be about an inch shorter. I dont think its gonna work too well for me either way, so I guess Im back to installing a bulkhead fitting into the bottom of the tank somewhere... Unless, anyone knows of a sump that isnt as tall?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just got off the phone with an aeromotive tech and it looks like I'll be using all their components. Eliminator pump, injected bypass regulator, and my oversize crossover tube is going to be useless because were gonna tap the rails in the front for 3/8 NPT so I can run two inlets/outlets and have the rails plumbed in parallel. I guess we can call it a balance tube now