Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump Hotwire Help--QUICK!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Pump Hotwire Help--QUICK!

Hey guys, I have a problem. I am working on a friends camaro. Its a 96 SS LT1 but Im assuming that the fuel pump/relay/tank assemblies are basically the same.

Pretty much the problem is, someone mounted an external fuel pump on the car, and ran the wires from the pump to the relay(+,-) and there is another ground from the body to the relay and one power wire from the battery. Obviously this isn't going to work.

From my understanding, the proper way it is done is that the power wire going to the stock fuel pump is cut, and each end of the wire goes to the relay and then you also have the power from the battery and the ground as well.

I need to know which wire is the power wire for the stock fuel pump and where it is. I think I may have an idea. From looking at the car it seems that the stock pump is in the tank. And I see a wire loom going up to the tank. That wire loom has 3 wires, purple, grey and one other color I believe. The 3 wires seem to be hooked up to a connector under the car, I wish I had a picture so I could show you guys if I'm on the right track or not.

So pretty much could someone tell me for sure which wire is the power wire for the stock fuel pump and where it is. Again I apologize for being so vague but this is my first time under one of these cars.

Nomie
Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NOMIEZVR4
That wire loom has 3 wires, purple, grey and one other color I believe.
purple, grey and black

purple-level sensor
grey-fuel pump + voltage
black-ground

hope this helps,
Matt
Old 05-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Here is my question. If the car was running on an external pump, how was the stock pump not running? Obviously they had a feed and return mounted onto the external pump....

damn..I don't know what the hell they did.