Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

auburn posi unit in an LS1 car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default auburn posi unit in an LS1 car?

Is this a direct fit? I have had my diff cover off & know that I have an Eaton unit in my rear axle now. Problem is one of the clips that hold the clutch discs in fell out, & I am getting some howling from the rear axle. So I got this auburn unit from a guy that had a lot of f bodys & was wanting to change it out. it my be from an LT1 car, that I dont know. It had 3.42 gears on it, & wanted to find out if this will fit with no problems.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

I was on LMPerformances site, it looks like it should work. Has the same 28 splines for the axles.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Since both carriers are from an M6,the Auburn is a direct replacement for the Eaton.Probably have to adjust carrier shimming,pinion should not have to be touched.Measure the lash as it exists and adjust the replacement carrier to duplicate what currently exists as a starting point,and you might not have to go any further after that.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you get an Eaton clutch type unit in your car? Auburns were used until early 99 model year production and then it switched to the Zexel
Old 11-01-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Eatons were available as an SLP(virtually anything was available as an SLP option if you were willing to pay) option if the customer didn't want the standard replacing of the factory auburn with the torsen.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nick_s
How did you get an Eaton clutch type unit in your car? Auburns were used until early 99 model year production and then it switched to the Zexel
I now recall seeing auburn posi unit on the slp options list I got from the guy I bought the car from. Anyway, someone installed this eaton unit this year, cuz the unit is dated 4-1-08 & it has 3.73s in it. I bought the car in July. I have heard the eaton unit holds up pretty well. This one didnt, clip holding the clutch discs fell out & allowed them to slide around in the housing. Got it changed out today. Replaced pinion, carrier bearings, & crush sleeve as well. Checked tooth contact pattern before & after. It was the same, centered pattern but closer to the edge of the gear. So the pinion depth will need to be adjusted by adding a thicker shim to pinion. It does make a slight howling noise like before, so I will get thicker shims & readjust. IMO the auburn unit looks more durable as theres no clips or lil parts that can fly out & send shrapnel & metal shavings throughout the diff. Never heard of a Zexel.

Quick Reply: auburn posi unit in an LS1 car?