Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Made a bad move and took pinion bolt off w/out marking it

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Made a bad move and took pinion bolt off w/out marking it

Was in a hurry to replace my seal and took the bolt out before I marked it. i don't have a dial indicator to measure load, am i out of GAS or anyone successfully put it back with no issues, while forgetting to mark the bolt?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

just tighten the damn thing ....if my 425 ft/lb impact gun wont crush the crush sleeve you aint gonna either. Loctite the nut and get it tight.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's a risk. I would just go borrow the tool from some one and do it right. it can cost you lots of $$$ and the drag of doing the work again ....
Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
just tighten the damn thing ....if my 425 ft/lb impact gun wont crush the crush sleeve you aint gonna either. Loctite the nut and get it tight.
I would just tighten it also, but i wouldn't use a impact because the hammering action can mess the bearing surface up!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a shim to set the pinion depth so you wont mess up your depth. I would find a torque spec and make sure you torque it correctly, you don't want it to come loose because its not tight enough or to tight and strip it.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by camaropilot
there is a shim to set the pinion depth so you wont mess up your depth. I would find a torque spec and make sure you torque it correctly, you don't want it to come loose because its not tight enough or to tight and strip it.
First of all he never messed with the shim and second of all without the proper beam style torque wrench you cannot obtain a correct reading, third of all he doesnt sound like he knows all that much about rear end assembly anyway. In my experience, in order to crush the crush sleeve, I have had a socket and a 24 inch breaker bar, my buddy has had a 24 inch long pry bar holding the yoke and i would have to lean on it so hard it would about pick him up off the ground (this was rebuilding the 10 bolt out of the car). You see what im getting at. No damn way one could do this alone. Tighten it as good as you can and roll the yoke and make sure there is no abnormal slack, as well as no binding. Thats the best you can do at this point.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks
if it breaks, good excuse to give the wife to get a moser or 9inch lol