Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Slack in the Drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slack in the Drivetrain

I've noticed that I have a little slack in the drivetrain somewhere and it feels like it's coming from the driveshaft... is this normal?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

TTT
Old 11-24-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much 'slack'? A certain amount is normal. If you are hearing or feeling a definate 'clunk' type feel, then it will either be the universal joint(s), or the rear end.

The best way to tell is to get the car on some jack stands, put the car in gear (M6) and check for slack at the universal joint nearest the tranny. Then check the universal at the differential by applying the emergency brake, putting the transmission in neutral, and check for any slack. Should you not be able to see any slack or movement at these joints. If you still have play, it is probably in the rear end gears. If so, you will see the driveshaft and the universal joint turn in unison, while the wheels are locked in position. Remember, that you will have a little bit of movement, since there should be some 'clearance' space for the ring/pinion. But this is very little movement.

Anyone else can chime in and/or add or correct me on this. Good luck.

Last edited by Proud2bSS; 11-24-2003 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

I have that same problem too with the clunk everytime i put into reverse or into drive. I hear this clunk and the car rocks a bit. So I got underneath it and rotated the driveshaft back and forth and noticed I have about 1/4 turn of slack before one of the wheels turns. As I rock the driveshaft back and forth, the rear makes a clunk as it catches and the wheel turns. Any thoughts on what the issue is? It does it right at the transmission where there is a 1/4 slack then I can hear in clunk against a gear, then go to the diff and it has that 1/4 slack and the slack is there until it meshes and wheels turn.

thanks for any help also