Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end might die soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear end might die soon

So i was having a little too much fun and shift pretty hard into 3rd from second under WOT and now i hear a whine when accelerating in gear.

i was wondering if any one can confirm that it is my rear end or give any possiblities for the sudden whine.

If it is the rear end would i still be able to drive around for a while while babying it and not accelerating hard or should i not drive it tilli get it fixed?

Thank You
Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Happened to me too. My pinion nut had backed out a little, so I retightened it. Mine whines loud on the freeway now, so I stay on the city streets and take it easy til my new rear comes in.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ruble50
So i was having a little too much fun and shift pretty hard into 3rd from second under WOT and now i hear a whine when accelerating in gear.

i was wondering if any one can confirm that it is my rear end or give any possiblities for the sudden whine.

If it is the rear end would i still be able to drive around for a while while babying it and not accelerating hard or should i not drive it tilli get it fixed?

Thank You
sounds like you got pinion bearing failure... you should be fine for a bit as long as you baby it... but get it fixed soon before you the rest of the diff gets bad.. you are going to need a rebuild or upgrade..... i can help you with your diff needs so feel free to shoot a pm
Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

So ive read the stickys about rear ends but im still kind of lost on where to begin choosing a new rear end for my car.

I want to up grade to a stronger rear end but im not sure what the differences are betweeen 12 bolts or 9 in rears, or what brands are reliable.

If someone could send me in the right direction, and a rough estimate on how much it would cost, i would really appreciate it.

Thank You
Old 10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally speaking, a 9 inch will be stronger than a 12 bolt but heavier and therefore will have more parasitic drivetrain loss. Moser and Strange are the two big names for the 12 bolt, and I'm sure there are various places to get a 9 inch or Dana 60. Midwest Chassis seems to make a very good fabricated 9 inch for the F-body.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ruble50
So ive read the stickys about rear ends but im still kind of lost on where to begin choosing a new rear end for my car.

I want to up grade to a stronger rear end but im not sure what the differences are betweeen 12 bolts or 9 in rears, or what brands are reliable.

If someone could send me in the right direction, and a rough estimate on how much it would cost, i would really appreciate it.

Thank You
With an M6 car, which will be harder on the rear diff, most people will suggest a 9".

From my personal experience, don't buy a Moser. Go with Midwest of Strange.

You can look to spend around $2500. You can do it for less, and you can always spend more, but that's probably a good ballpark, assuming you actually put the rear in yourself.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

how much weaker is the 12 bolt compaired to the 9 inch?

Last edited by Sabbath87; 10-22-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:08 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sabbath87
how much weaker is the 12 bolt compared to the 9 inch?
Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

Link to the Moser 9 inch rear. Bob
Old 10-22-2009, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

so if im looking to have a street car that can see 10s or low 11s on the strip, i should really look into a 9 inch? or would a 12 bolt be strong enough? im just wondering because i heard the 12 bolt is lighter.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:55 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

so if im looking to have a street car that can see 10s or low 11s on the strip, i should really look into a 9 inch? or would a 12 bolt be strong enough? im just wondering because i heard the 12 bolt is lighter.
The nine inch isn't that much heavier than a 12 bolt to be worried about the additional weight. You might want to look at the Moser M9 fabricated rear that is the same weight as your 10 bolt, and comes with a great torque arm and transmission crossmember. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324

My Camaro has an M9 in it, you can see it here. Bob
Old 10-27-2009, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

Wow! what did you break coming down from that wheelie? your neck? haha. i think im sold on the 9 inch. ive never replaced a rear end before tho. any "how to"s on how to install these rear ends? not something im doing real soon but in the future for sure.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:07 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Wow! what did you break coming down from that wheelie? your neck? haha. i think im sold on the 9 inch. ive never replaced a rear end before tho. any "how to"s on how to install these rear ends? not something im doing real soon but in the future for sure.
Oil pan, shocks, upper arms, etc. Luckily I wasn't the one driving the car when it did this wheelstand. Ted was driving my car, and is shown in the picture below. Bob

Lou Santaigo, formerly of MuscleCar TV with our Driver, Ted Garvin.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:18 AM

Sabbath87, If you have found any good guides or books with some information about swapping your rearend could you please PM me a link.
Thanks.