Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end noise... could axles be at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear end noise... could axles be at fault?

Hard to describe but I have a grinding/whining noise from the rear. You can start to hear it at above 20mph and it gets louder the faster you go. In gear or neutral, it does not matter, if its rolling its making the noise. It sounds like its coming from the rear right but im not sure. I had this problem in my old TA which was fixed by replacing the bearings in the rear end, axle bearings, and the axles themselves. Now this noise is the same in my new car and I just replaced all the bearings (motive master install kit and axle bearings), but this time did not buy new axles. However I am still having the same noise in my new car even after the install. So my question is, if the old axles are bad, would it still make the noise even though i installed new axle bearings? Would bad axles make that kind of noise? Also if you have an idea of anything else it could be that would be great too.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

more likely gears or bearings.check your rear fluid level ,any leaky seals?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by garygnu
more likely gears or bearings.check your rear fluid level ,any leaky seals?
Cant be the bearings, as I replaced every bearing back there. It shouldn't be the gear either as the mechanic told me the gear looked good. There is no leaks and fluid should be maximally fresh as I just had it openeded a few weeks ago. The only things I think that are left is the axles or the carrier itself. I want to replace the axles but they arnt cheap, so I dont wanna go down that route if its not even possible for them to make this noise.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I was going thru the axle and bearings problems, my noise was what I called the sound of a tractor trailer tire sound. Everything I had searched on ls1tech said it was my axle's.My noise was different from what everyone else heard. The mechanic went with replacing the bearings. Well it was the axle's He sent me a picture of them and the metal had flaked off the axle's. I was also getting new gears anyway. We only guessed that since the Hawk sat for 3 years in storage and only had 325 miles on it. that maybe that caused it? To this day I still don't know. But after he did the axles the noise stopped. There is a thread on ls1tech with all of this, and pictures of my axles in the fquick pictures. I went with new axle's and I'm glad I did. Not sure what your noise is, and maybe my problem is different from yours, but I had the noise for a long time and it was getting louder. Good luck

Last edited by sleepinghawk; 06-11-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same noise. Tractor trailer tire describes it exactly. Heard both axle bearings and rear end gears. Going to upgrade to 4:10's and see if that helps. If not, I guess I'll just replace the bearings and axles....