Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinion nut???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default pinion nut???

my rear is starting to make noise so i was going to drop the driveshaft and check and see if the nut back out a little whats the ft lbs of the nut i also have an electric impact gun that has a good punch to it but i didint want to overtighten it
Old 10-20-2009, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be very careful if you do this. You can overtighten it and it will blow the rear end and weld the bearings to the pinion. Ask me how I know this. I literally had to heat the pinion up with a mapp gas torch and beat it out of the housing with a sledgehammer after I got the bright idea to tighten the pinion nut a little. Needless to say my nearly new pinion was destroyed. There is not a torque spec in ft-lbs for this nut. The correct way to do this is to check the amount of drag it takes to spin the pinion using an inch pound torque wrench. You will not be able to do this unless you plan to remove the carrier.

If you decide to attempt this... your best bet is to mark the location of the nut on the pinion itself. I do this with a silver sharpie so I can see it well. Then get out the impact and very carefully tighten the nut. Periodically check your progress. You are looking to move it very little. My opinion is about and 1/8th of a turn. I don't know what kind of impact you have but I seriously doubt that if it's electric that it will have enough "***" to budge that nut. I have to use a huge air impact to even slightly turn mine. It takes some serious force.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You cant just go back there and whack away with an impact dude. You need to read up and learn how to do it before you do it.