Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion Angle Off, Vids at the track

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pinion Angle Off, Vids at the track

Im not to happy with my 60 fts when I went to the track this past weekend. I was really hoping for better times and the car didnt want to hook up. Most of it could be the track is a shitty track now..but heres a video of the car leaving. Its not a fast car but should be faster than what it is

Could my pinion angle be off causing the car to spin and no squat hard. Im not Dumping the clutch at 5000 rpms Im trying to slip it around 2500 or so. Spins all of Second gear. Yea Im only on a 275/40 DR but dang..I tryed everything from heating the hell out of them, just turing them over, no air lots of air, dumping, sliping the clutch and it is just a turd..

No Front Sway Bar
Iv got the UMI short adj T/A
Adj Panhard Bar
and LCRs with Relo brackets..
Stock Shocks
I dont have a angle finder so I have no idea what its set at..

This is not a race car so I dont realy want to go adding QA1s but I would like to see a bit better times..maybe 11.9s..I know it has it in it..but second gear spins too much.

My dad raced me on one pass and he said 3rd gear he seen the car spin and try to move sideways like it does in second.

Should I try seting it and geting some 15 in wheels and bigger sidewalls so I can leave at 4000+ Rpms to stay in the power band..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRDtKSQ6b6c
Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

find someone good with chassis work to check it and set it up makes a big difference usually 4 degress down works good all purpose setup if the relocation brackets are adjustable put them on the lowest hole the torque arm may be binding up if so does nothing for you the agle finders are cheap get them antwhere
Old 11-10-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone notice that the car doesn't even think about squatting? lol
Old 11-10-2009, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is the car not wanting to squat? Could pinion angle have something to do with that? If so we played around with that today. It was at 0 to +1 on the ground, now its adjusted to -3 and doesnt bind or anything, the front of the car seems to raise a lot more now. Could that have been a lot of my problems?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Why is the car not wanting to squat? Could pinion angle have something to do with that? If so we played around with that today. It was at 0 to +1 on the ground, now its adjusted to -3 and doesnt bind or anything, the front of the car seems to raise a lot more now. Could that have been a lot of my problems?
I really dont think that pinion angle will cause a car not to squat. and the only reason for the ds to bind up would be from it being out of phase. The only way for that to happen is if it is twisted and you would be able to tell that.

What is your suspension setup?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any properly setup car should never squat. The chassis will seperate from the rear end driving the tire into the pavement.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

But if it doesnt squat you dont benefit from all of the weight transfer.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

he's right cars not suppose to squat the idea is lift the front end and transfer weight a littles not bad but to much squat suspensions to loose not gonna hook great if your have lift thats unloadin the tires because not transfering has to be balanced on the rear yes the change in pinion should help already did if you said you can tell the fronts liftin get some 90/10 front shocks too big help good luck
Old 11-10-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm. Ok I always thought a little squat was what you wanted but not a whole bunch.

My next option after that would try some stickier tires.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

not terrible but the right balance of front lift and rear pushin down should equal 0 squat in a perfect world any movement up or down in rear is wasted motion but squat is better then lift
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

found this give it a look http://www.bmrtvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=3788