Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4.56 gear users in a 10 bolt come on in. Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 4.56 gear users in a 10 bolt come on in. Need opinions.

I was teaching my girlfriend how to drive a standard in my heads, cam, M6 SS with a stock 10 bolt. Yea I know bad idea. She blew EVERYTHING up. Carrier, gears, all the little spider gears just everything. I bought a carrier off of a guy here on LS1tech. I also bought a set of 4.56 gears off someone here too. He sold me the gears for 100 bucks shipped to my door so i figured why not. I was really looking for a set of 4.10 gears for it but no one seemed to have them and I'm going to buy a mosier 9" in about a month so I just needed something to ride in for now. Depending on how I like the gear in the car, I might get the same for the 9". I will let yall know my personal experience on that. But I have some questions that I just wanna know before I get it all together. What will my RPM be at 70 mph? How can I correct my spedo so it will read accurately? I know this set up will not last long because the ring gear for a 4.56 ration in a 10 bolt just isn't strong at all. I wont be "banging" on it just driving and occasionally rolling off in the throttle. Give me your personal experiences with a 4.56 gear both in a 10 bolt and in a 9". Thanks.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

waayyy back in the 60's for 6-7 years we ran a 67 mustang /427/2 -4's/4:56 & 4:88 as strip and DD, love the way it pulled in high gear ( no over drive) only 6 miles pg on a good day( owened a gas station/gas about .19 to .25 p gallon)
yes I think you will love to drive with 4:56' but think they will last about as long as a snow ball in h--l in your 10 bolt, in the 9" will last, fuel MAY not be too bad as you have OD's
just my .02' Johnny

ps do a google for gear/rpm calulator, as to spedo you will need to have the pcm reflashed , should cost about 50. or so if no one local to flash it try a cheep mail order tune
wate4 me did mine several years ago ,I do not know if he is still aroud, do a search on this site for mail order tune

Last edited by SS SLP2; 11-17-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

9 inch with 4.56 gears here. and love them at 70 my rpms around 2100 rpm, as far with the speedo take it to a tuner and they can caliprate it in about 10 minutes, fuel mileage dont know dont care, sorry for that if i had to guess i am at 18mpg on the highway, but the pull of the car 1 thur 4 is great, i can blow the tires off in first and second for fun with street tires. i recommend them only in a good rear. hope this helps