Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9''/Jaws gear center section got loud all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9''/Jaws gear center section got loud all of a sudden

I was out driving my ta tonight on motor prob makes about 380rw havent dynoed with the ls6 heads yet and did a few quick rips I mashed on it once from about a 15 roll and it spun 1st it shifted to second then I lifted then after that the rear got really noisy and now im curious as to what it could be the rearend definitely got noticeibly louder after this it was pretty quiet before. Im going to check the fluid asap I dont have a garage and it supposed to snow I dont see how it would be low on fluid but you never know. The rear end has maybe 1000 miles on it its a moser housing with 35 spline axles and a jaws gear center section with a spool and 3.89 gears. Im just unsure of what would of happened all of a sudden on a quick burst from 1st to 2nd gear which was all tire spin anyway. It definitely sounds like its coming from the rear end I just really hope nothing is broken inside it or wearing out as that would be a joke as my 10 bolt would of taken more abuse and the 8.8 built out of junkyard gears in my mustang. Im not trying to bash jaws gear or anything as they are nice people im just saying what I have and maybe they will chime in I know alot of people complain about there 9'' being noisy as hell so maybe mine just reached that point and ill deal with it.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

i have the same rearend combo as you just with 4.11s in my car & the gears have screamed from the time we put the 9inch in. Jaws said it was the pinion angle causing it, which i knew it wasnt. i tried adjusting it but of course it didnt change anything. they wanted me to ship it back to them so they could see why it was so loud. it was cheaper for me to buy new gears & get it done locally. i still dont know why it was so damn loud & dont want to know because it will just **** me off again
Old 12-20-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah it just all of a sudden got really loud im going to try and change the fluid and see if that helps I doubt it but whatever then im gonna drive it till it breaks maybe it wont break but im not happy my $2,000 rear end sounds like its gonna blow apart but if it blows ill just go with a 3.70 ratio anyway but I guess there is just alot of noisy ones out there I dont mind the noise it just sucks if something breaks the thing probably has like 1k miles on it barely and 2 track passes I did manage to get a 1.42 60ft out of it though.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned

I had the same thing happen to me........it ended up be the pinion.....it sheared metal off the teeth and the rear was screaming bad.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah idk it got pretty loud all of a sudden it was decently quiet before the pinion seal has leaked since day one. Its kind of a joke that this will probably have to come apart sometime soon I put together a few ford 8.8's with junkyard ford gears and junkyard posi's and throw a good set of axles in and they work fine either way im pretty aggravated at the whole thing and its pita to get the center out gotta take the torque arm off and stuff remove axles get the heavy center out sucks. I thought this thing would pretty pretty much indestructible at my power levels and now it could be starting to break on me after only 1k miles my junk 10 bolt lasted 50k miles and had alot more track passes and street abuse only thing I busted was the torsen after sometime and im like well instead of spending money on it might as well buy a 9'' im just really frustrated at the moment.

Last edited by RamAir02TA77; 12-20-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone else have any ideas on what could of happened?