Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axles swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axles swap

Hi,

I am new to dealing with axles and rear diff's. What is needed to swap axles if i buy a used 10 bolt to replace mine that's going out. I cannot afford a 12 bolt of 9" at the time.

Also what is the value of a used 10 bolt with shot bearings and ring gear?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 12-22-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you just talking about the axles or the whole rearend? Mostly just gear lube and replace the seals.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be replacing the whole rear end and taking the axles out of mine and installing them in the new rear end as I have a 4 channel and have only been able to find a 3 channel. I am still learning about this part of the car. I did swap out my own transmission and torque converter so im pretty mechanically inclined I just don't know much about suspension and axles yet.....
Old 12-23-2009, 06:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will find it is very easy to do it. I would recommend changing the axle seals. You will hve to get a cover gasket and a couple of quarts of fluid and the L/S additive. Not sure, but you might have to grind on the bracket where the brakes bolt up to clear the sensor and plug the top where the 3 channel sensor went in.