Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9" question.

I recently put a 9" in my car with a detroit locker. Now when I put it into first(M6) from a stop it clunks really loud. Is this my locker or something else? My torque arm is touching the bolt on the bottom of the car could this be the noise. My pinion angle is not correctly set yet either. I would do a thurough search but I am at work and only have a short break. Thanks Brandon
Old 12-22-2009, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

noise is not the norm of a locker. I honestly would not even be driving your car if you have not even verified the pinion angle. lots can go bad from that.

and your torque arm should not be touching your floor... you could have a ridiculous positive pinion angle and it could be pointing up..... or just bfh the floor.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lockers are noisy as ****

it will clunk every time you go from on the gas to off the gas as well as the other way around because the locker engages when it receives torque and disengages when it is released. also will make a ratcheting sound when going around tight corners. the clunking sound when you put it in first is completely normal as the locker is engaging.

good news is that noise is the sound of confidence that if something under your car breaks, it sure as **** aint gonna be the rear

Last edited by Tally TransAm; 12-22-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
lockers are noisy as ****

it will clunk every time you go from on the gas to off the gas as well as the other way around because the locker engages when it receives torque and disengages when it is released. also will make a ratcheting sound when going around tight corners. the clunking sound when you put it in first is completely normal as well as the locker is engaging.

good news is that noise is the sound of confidence that if something under your car breaks, it sure as **** aint gonna be the rear
I appreciate your confidence. I adjusted the pinion angle but the torque arm is still riding on the bottom of the car and I have much unwanted wheel hop. The housing is from Quick performance If that helps a little.
Thanks Brandon
Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kind of torque arm do you have?

i have a spohn on mine. the rear of the car is stock height i had to "massage" the floorboard a ton to clear the bracket. took quite a bit of hammering. if your lowered it could be worse
Old 12-22-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have UMI rear suspension( T/A, LCA, Panhard, SFC.) and stock springs. Do not think it's any lower than a stock car.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing to do is to take a pry bar and wedge it between the floor and where the torque arm is hitting the sheetmetal, and pry the sheetmetal away. If you don't do this you are going to wear a hole into the floor. Bob
Old 12-23-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks bob I will do this.