Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

B-W 9 bolt rear...worth the hassle??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-W 9 bolt rear...worth the hassle??

i'm just toying with an idea... i've come across a borg warner rear from an '83 camaro, i hear they're stronger than 10 bolts, so would it be a worthwhile swap?

here's what i know: it's free, parts are hard to get, it's 2 inches narrower per side than a 4th gen 10 bolt, it can't use ABS, parts are expensive.

here's what i don't know: is it possible to swap over 10 bolt axle tubes, which will still retain the ABS plus the proper width?

i imagine i can get some custom axles made to compensate for the added width. i'm just not sure if it's worth doing. as stated above, the axle is free, i can get another 4th gen axle for free as well, so if this all works, i should only be in it for the custom axles. am i crazy?? is it even possible?? am i wasting my time on a lame duck???
Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt it would be worth the hastle. If it was then more of us would have done it by now. The only GM rear that I would even consider is so rare that I don't think you could even find one: Dana 44. I think it was a gta trans am that could have come with a d44. GM also offererd it over the parts counter, but at like $2400. I think even summit had them for a while when gm discontinued them. They're so rare that I hadn't even heard about them until about a year ago. After trying to look for one myself I just decided to get an S60. Problem solved.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't know how strong those are but i couldn't see it being worth the time. if your going to go through the trouble, an 8.8 would probably be a much better idea. and parts are easy to find.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dutinsss
i don't know how strong those are but i couldn't see it being worth the time. if your going to go through the trouble, an 8.8 would probably be a much better idea. and parts are easy to find.
i've been thinking about going the 8.8 route, as i really like those rears, however i ran across this particular 9 bolt, and it's already made to fit an f-body, (and it's supposedly stronger) so i figured it may be worth checking into. i want to keep a stock-type rear suspension, and i'm nervous about welding t-a mounts onto the cast housing. i know it's been done, in fact, there's a guy on this board in my area (his name escapes me) who builds 8.8's. i guess it all comes down to cost at this point.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are some things to consider (and my opinion):

-ABS, not sure if you could even make it work, but even if you could, the time and cost to do it would not make it worth it.

-The 9 bolt were an option when GM was still running 26 spline axels in the 10 bolts, and believe it or not they had an even lower threshhold before they broke back then. 10 bolts have not gotten signifigantly stronger as the years passed, but closer to that of a 9 bolt. Example - I had a ten bolt explode in my automatic '91 TPI that had maybe 400 lbs/tq. Yet my '99 has survived a 6spd with 500 lbs/tq

-Would probably be worth it IF you do not plan on changing gears or diff AND plan on upgrading to something else down the road. Its easier to get a 10" wide rim w/ 5.5 backspacing then the 7.5" bs needed for the 4th gen length. Then when you upgrade rears again, just order one with the 3rd gen width to reuse the wheels.

Good luck with your choice