Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

whats your guys thoughts on this noise and situation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats your guys thoughts on this noise and situation?

I have a 2000 camaro ss, car was sitting for a couple years before a purchased it and have been attempting to get it road worthy again. The rear of the car has had a grinding/growling noise. My first thoughts were that the brakes were rusted, so they were removed an inspected. With the car up on jack stands and brakes removed, i put the car in gear to check for the noise and it still is there once the spedometer goes to 20mph, but the weird thing is once you get on the gas and hit about 30 the spedometer starts to jump...it only does the spedo jump while on the stands, not when driving. When i open the rear end any recomendations on what to look for? I hear the limited slip bolts break, or should i just be checking for a bad bearing, and if so how? Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only way to check for bad bearings is to pull it apart.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

you may want to pull the driveshaft first and inspect the ujoints those would have potential to rust if it sat for a while. just my $.02
Old 03-19-2010, 08:54 AM

turns out a have a bad carrier bearing....I hope it all goes back together as easily as it came out. Kinda learning by trial and error. Thanks for your guys comments