Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Polishing a Turd

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Polishing a Turd

Just did a t56 swap as well as heads/cam on my LT1. Needless to say I am just about out of money and the 9 inch that I had originally intended to buy at the same time is no longer in the budget. I need to do a gear swap because RAM said the HD will chatter with any less than 373 gears. I hate to put any money into the 10 bolt but it is going to have to get me around until I can afford a new rear. I know I won't be able to take it to the track or anything like that but I guess my question is is it absolutely necessary to change the bearings on a 48000 mile 10 bolt? I haven't ripped it apart to inspect but for those that take them apart regularly is there a lot of wear under normal driving conditions at that mileage? What is the cheapest possible way to get a new set of gears in there ie brands of gear, vendors, install kits... Any help is appreciated
Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

if you know your going to be upgrading to a 12 bolt or 9" anyways, but just want to get by for now, you could probably get away with not replacing the seals and bearings and just swap the gears.

If I were you, I would just go with a set of Yukon gears. Cheap, lifetime warranty (which I have utilized in the past myself) and they are fairly quiet and setup pretty nicely.

If this is going to be a semi-permanent upgrade to the 10-bolt, then I would find some good GM gears and replace all the bearings and seals with Timkens.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Default timkens

where do you get timkens install kit from and yukon gears from to do a partial upgrade i am in the same boat whining 10 bolt and i do not have 2500 for a 9in or 12 bolt
Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

clutch chatter never hurt anyone, just annoying sometimes. If your paying someone to do a gear swap, your looking at around 250 to set the gears up and around 150 for a set of gears. I'd save my money if I were you and do the 9"
Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

I ran a power grip hd when I had stock 3.42s and it never chattered
Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

it is a 3.23 rear right now because it was an auto car, I don't know if it will make that big of a difference but I would like to throw them in there as kind of a trial run to see what gears I want to get in the 9 when I finally do get it. I am thinking about just buying the summit gears and cheap install kit without bearings and setting them up myself. Any thoughts?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
it is a 3.23 rear right now because it was an auto car, I don't know if it will make that big of a difference but I would like to throw them in there as kind of a trial run to see what gears I want to get in the 9 when I finally do get it. I am thinking about just buying the summit gears and cheap install kit without bearings and setting them up myself. Any thoughts?
You will be buying another set of gears soon if you have never done it before. Whole lot different than just bolting a set of gears in.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow tell me how you really feel...not to much faith in my rear-end-setting-up abilities huh