Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is it always visually obvious when a bearing is bad??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:59 PM
SMS
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it always visually obvious when a bearing is bad??

Hi Guys. I have a wheel bearing like noise coming from my stock 10 bolt which is really loud and annoying. It makes no difference whether you steer left or right the noise is always there ad it seems no matter where i try to listen I cant pin point which side or where it's coming from.

Today I decided to pull the axles and check out the bearings. drivers side looks good, no groove worn on axle and the rollers look fine. Passenger side due to garage space restraints, I can't pull it all the way out of the rear, but the axle looks fine.

My question is: can bearing look good but still make noise? I am not about to pull the posi unit and pinion out to look at those bearings. If those are bad, I think I'll have to drop the $$ and buy a 9" as I cant see putting money into a 10 bolt to have it all torn down, fixed, re set up, then blow it up at the track this summer. If, on the other hand, bearings can look fine but still howl, I 'll gamble the money and replace both wheel bearings.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I just replaced my pinion bearings and crush sleeve. I put everything else back just the way it came apart. The first time I overtightened the pinion nut and loosened it back up (DON"T DO THAT), and ended up with noise. Went back in with a new crush sleeve and this time didn't overtighten the pinion nut. It is all quiet now and seems to be great.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:55 PM
SMS
Staging Lane

Well I found the noise, burned up carrier bearing.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:56 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

still going with the 9"?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM
SMS
Staging Lane

Nah, I just can't put a $3k rear end in a $6k stock car. For less than $100 I can repair this one. I'll run it till it grenades.