Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Considering used gears? read me first...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Considering used gears? read me first...

i know used gears are cheeper than new and everything else, but a few things need to be considered....

1. gearsets are like flat tappet camshafts. once they are broken in together, they have to stay together. also, that means, if you remove the gears from one diff, they have to be setup the exact same way in the next diff. if not, they will whine and be more likely to breaking.

the reason for this, is the teeth on the ring and pinion "wear" into eachother. think of it as a highway where you can see grooves down the road where tires roll all the time. when you setup the gears, if your contact pattern is not exactly where these "wear marks" are, you considerably reduce your tooth to tooth contact area. because part of the tooth will be contacting a new area on the other tooth and will cause the rest of the tooth that would be on the original spot to raise up and not contact it. THIS IS WHAT CAUSES GEAR WHINE ON USED GEARS. you may think you have it setup properly, but if it wasent setup properly when new, then its not setup properly now.

used gears have to be setup with the same contact pattern, and backlash settings they were when they were first setup and broke in.

this post is to educate people on used gearsets and why they whine. and will hopefully cut down on the amount of threads titled "why do my used gears whine?"