Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

S60 or 9in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 or 9in.

Im about to buy a new rear in the next few weeks.. I broke a main cap bolt off in my ten bolt housing, after trying 30 + times to re-set up my gears. Only after realizing my housing is streched. So now its time for something better.
Im after something ill never have to touch the gear set up, or any internal parts again. Just fluid changes and go. Ill never have over 520 hp's, so i dont need a funny car drap only rear. I will never go to the drag strip with it either. Street and hwy king type driving only ever.. My car is a garage queen thats isnt daily driven. I do beat the **** out of it everytime i drive it!!!! After all the reading etc. i think the strange 60 is my best bet.
im worried about it being much heavier than the 9in. Ive also heard the 9in. has issues and cant take a life long beating without rebuild like a S60 can.
I need some solid feed back. you guys help me decide....thanks stunna
Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

9 inch..........for so many reasons.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Launching!

I'm putting my money on the MWC 9" and I'm in a similar situation.

I looked at the S60, but I don't really feel that I can justify the extra weight considering that I will probably never take the car to the track to really get the use of the extra beefiness of the S60. I also like the effort that MWC puts into the forums here and they have been super helpful when I have talked to them.

In the end, I don't think you can really go wrong with either option, and I would have a hard time imagining you running into a serious issue with either rear.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Launching!

according to strange, the s60 is 30 lbs more than a stock 10 bolt.
to me that isnt much. as far as never breaking it..... also for the spec's i want, s60 is the cheapest.....
Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

You have to take into consideration what kind of budget you have to work with...

So... what kind of budget do you have to work with? lol
Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Launching!

3 grand or less....
Old 07-28-2010, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Ford nine inch can take abuse either with highway driving or in a racing application, that is why it is such a popular rear end. An it can be rebuildable depending on what you chose as options.

Now to both rear ends they are both great pieces and serve a very good purpose. As far as price goes it comes down to the fact you have ABS and either option is going to add up in extra fee's to make it work. No way around doing so as the axles have to be modified.

Then on top of that you are going to have to chose to either send in your abs rings(4chnl) and your brake backing plates and tin shields or purchase new. We always recommend our customers to send theirs in to save themselves some money. All though new ones can be purchased directly through GM while they last. Strange offers them as well with the S60 build at an extra fee.

Now the price on an S60 is cheaper but keep in mind that you get a torque arm and cross member of your choice and you can add in many extra features with our fabricated nine inch. We can actually get the weight of our rear end under the weight of a ten bolt with added options.

If you have any questions please PM me or call me and I will do my best to help you.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

I will ship you my strange s60 with chromoly driveshaft for $2100.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stunna p
Im about to buy a new rear in the next few weeks.. I broke a main cap bolt off in my ten bolt housing, after trying 30 + times to re-set up my gears. Only after realizing my housing is streched. So now its time for something better.
Im after something ill never have to touch the gear set up, or any internal parts again. Just fluid changes and go. Ill never have over 520 hp's, so i dont need a funny car drap only rear. I will never go to the drag strip with it either. Street and hwy king type driving only ever.. My car is a garage queen thats isnt daily driven. I do beat the **** out of it everytime i drive it!!!! After all the reading etc. i think the strange 60 is my best bet.
im worried about it being much heavier than the 9in. Ive also heard the 9in. has issues and cant take a life long beating without rebuild like a S60 can.
I need some solid feed back. you guys help me decide....thanks stunna
Take a look at the Moser M9 (fabricated rear) that comes with a chrome moly torque and chrome moly transmission crossmember. Wire transfer me the money and I'll knock $100.00 off the price.

This rear ships out in just two days! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website