Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HELP driveshaft and S60 seal or length problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP driveshaft and S60 seal or length problem

The driveshaft seems to be to long. The previous owner said he has ever had a problem with it. I had to hit with a hammer to get the yoke to crush the rear seal just so i could get the driveshaft in the rearend yoke when i bought the car cause the tranny was out of it then. Now with Jason at TDP upgrading my tranny, I want things right. So either my seal is not letting my yoke all the way in the tranny, the driveshaft to long, or my rearend has been moved forward. it has the welded on LCA brackets on it. I installed Adjustable lca since then(stock length)just in case i have to move it back. I cant move it back just alittle or my alum cover will hit the panhard bar.
M6-S60 41" is stock and minus 1.625(for s60 i read)= 39.375"
Mine measured 39 3/8's from cup to cup.
Here are some pics.

Heres the seal pic

Heres the yoke in it as hard as i can push it in my hand(no hammer)

Heres how much more i have to go to get the driveshaft on the rearend. I would have to hammer(lightly to med) the driveshaft to get it to compress the seal all the way more and i MIGHT be able to get the u-joint in the rear end.I figure the seal wouldnt last long with it compressed like that.

Also how far should the yoke slide up in the tranny(M6) The seal i have now sticks out about a 1.25" from the trannyhousing. should the yoke just slide in and barely touch the seal or compress the seal some?.

Should i just change seals to a low profile one. Jason didnt like that type of seal but was out of the other ones and it was late at night.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 08-22-2010, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

you had to hit it with a hammer to get it in? why would you think that be ok? that seal is the stock style that comes on our cars from the factory and it is just fine. the yoke should not even me touching it at ride height but on a bump it would be ok for it to hit. if you drive the car like that every time you hit a bump the DS is going to beat the **** out of your trans and bearings

you need to center your tires in the wheel well at ride height and re measure for ds length or just bring it to the ds shop and tell them to take an inch off and hope for the best.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerflash
you had to hit it with a hammer to get it in? why would you think that be ok? that seal is the stock style that comes on our cars from the factory and it is just fine. the yoke should not even me touching it at ride height but on a bump it would be ok for it to hit. if you drive the car like that every time you hit a bump the DS is going to beat the **** out of your trans and bearings

you need to center your tires in the wheel well at ride height and re measure for ds length or just bring it to the ds shop and tell them to take an inch off and hope for the best.
I dont think it is ok. Thats why i am asking on the forum. The yoke slides fine until it touches the seal. I have seen other seals that were flat. Not sure if i should get the driveshaft shorten,change seal or do i have another problem.
What should the DS length be for a S60 rearend? mine is 39 3/8" from cup to cup.

Quick Reply: HELP driveshaft and S60 seal or length problem