Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinion seepage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default pinion seepage?

Alrite, so this last week if something could go wrong it has.

I got everything tight on my rear end, aligned set up blah blah perfect.

we heat cycled it twice on jackstands and about5 minutes of neighborhood 5mph driving. when i crawled under it it looked like there was a bit of seepage around the pinion seal. I wouldnt call it a leak but its def not dry.

is this normal for breaking in a rear end? should i be worried? im not going to drive the car anymore till i hear back and get a definitive answer. Ill try and get a pic of it in a mintue
Old 09-26-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was leaking pretty bad, like a 3-4 inch across puddle with spots around it, and drove it for a week til me and my friend replaced it. He said that leaking pinion seal is normal and they often leak just a little even after replacing it. I did replace mine with a GM seal and it was 20 bucks, the one that was in there was from advanced or autozone, so it had been replaced before.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That shouldn't be, every rear i do has no seepage
Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

I replaced my own and I have no moisture back there at all. It used to be drip a litle bit and it was always moist around the pinion and torque arm area. Ever since I replaced it though it has been dry.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

well the thing was this was a brand new MWC 9". I wiped it away when i made this post and have nothing back since, so maybe it was just spillage that i had missed when i filled it