Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

C5...metal in diff fluid...how freaking bad is this? (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:02 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5...metal in diff fluid...how freaking bad is this? (PICS)

I recently bought this 2000 C5 FRC, and I've been chasing down an issue with some noise coming from the rear of the car. I flew in to buy the car, and as soon as I left to drive home, I started hearing popping, clicking, and clunking coming from the rear. When I got it home, I started searching to see what to look for, and I thought I had it pegged as an issue with either the axle nut being loose or the splines needing to be lubed, which evidently is a common issue with the C5s. I've pulled the axle nut and lubed the crap out of the axle splines on both the inner and outer side of the hub, torqued the axle nut to spec, and still no joy. The thing is making noise like crazy when I come to a stop (clunk), or take off in first gear (pop). I also hear noise shifting into second (clunk), and sometimes cruising in first at low speed (clicks). I don't hear any noise at all in turns. If I'm cruising in 2nd gear and stab the throttle, I'll hear a clunk.

I was taking another shot at fixing the noise today...pulled the axle nuts and re-lubed everything once again (pushing in on the threaded shaft so I could lube the splines on the inboard side of the hub). I decided I should probably change the differential fluid as well to rule that out, so I drained it into my pan. Once drained, I pulled the plastic plug in the pan to drain the fluid into the resevoir, and once it was dry, this is what I found in the top of the pan...

Obviously, metal shards and chunks in the differential fluid is an issue. My question is...how bad is this? The car is basically a driver car that my wife uses to drive to work, but I also have a truck she can use. The car still drives fine, and we're not hard on it at all...it just makes a bit of a racket at times.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

That is no bueno
Old 06-05-2011, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt drive it till its fixed . Thats a ticking time bomb . If something gives while
driving you could hurt someone or yourself or wife . NOT worth it IMO .
Old 06-05-2011, 08:16 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I agree. Going to call a couple shops tomorrow to see what the $$$ damage is going to be.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thats going to be $$. Try Hunt and Knight Corvette.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Wow thats going to be $$. Try Hunt and Knight Corvette.
I've been trying...called and left a message yesterday morning. Called back later on in the afternoon and was told that someone would be calling me back "shortly". Still haven't heard from them...

I took the car to Bachman Chevrolet (who supposedly is pretty well regarded in the Corvette community) on Monday, and the tech there told me that the metal in the diff fluid was "normal", and that he had never seen more than one or two rear ends on a Corvette fail. I politely paid their bill and took the car and left...
Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... that is definately not "normal". If you would like to pull the diff and ship it up to us we would be glad to pull it apart and repair it for you. If could be a failed bearing or spider gear. Just let us know if there is anything we can do.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -Q-
I've been trying...called and left a message yesterday morning. Called back later on in the afternoon and was told that someone would be calling me back "shortly". Still haven't heard from them...

I took the car to Bachman Chevrolet (who supposedly is pretty well regarded in the Corvette community) on Monday, and the tech there told me that the metal in the diff fluid was "normal", and that he had never seen more than one or two rear ends on a Corvette fail. I politely paid their bill and took the car and left...
I have yet to find a good Chevrolet dealership around Louisville that knows thier *** from a hole in the ground. I am having problems with my 2009 Malibu and have had it to Bachman and when I got it back it was not fixed.

You could try

http://tichenorservicecenter.com/

Tichenor Service Center
976 Frost Avenue, Bardstown, KY 40004
(502) 348-6477 ‎

Rob Tichenor is a real nice guy, and used to work for Hunt and Knight back in the 80's. He still works on a lot of Vettes. He has a nice shop and works on everything from street rods to brand new cars.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:53 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Thatnks for the heads up. But Bardstown is over an hour drive from where I live in Oldham County...not sure I want to chance driving it that far right now.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Well, just got a rough estimate of 2-3k to have Hunt and Knight pull the diff, send it out for a rebuild, and reinstall. I think I may take my chances pulling it out myself and sending it to RPM and reinstalling it myself before I pay that much...

They are going to get back to me with a more accurate figure later today.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Thats what my olds 12 bolt looked like, I had the same noises! I ended up with a broken pinion gear, I dont even know how it drove.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I has similar chunks in my diff fluid and stuck on the magnet on the diff cover.

This is what my diff looked like when I took it out.

Not surprised I heard a few noises, and bits of metal left in the oil.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Wow, yeah I would be pulling it myself for that kind of coin.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shot you a PM back with our parts and labor prices to repair your diff. We have really good shipping rates too. Hope we can help you out.

Quick Reply: C5...metal in diff fluid...how freaking bad is this? (PICS)