Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Please help Torsen T-2/T-2R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help Torsen T-2/T-2R?

To make a long story short I ordered a posi unint form one of the sponsers on LS1.com may also be a sponser here. I origenaly ordered the Eaton unit which turned out to be out of stock, so desided to go with the Auburn unit that was priced more but I made an agreement with the Mr.X that we would split the difference between the two units and I would get the Auburn for a bit more. Well 3 days later the unit arives and it's not the Auburn but SLPs Zexel Torsen (65002) deemed the heavy duty unit. I have a very busy work/school schedual and have not time to deal with sending the unit back. So it's going in to my 10bolt along with 4.10s a TA cover, solid crush sleeve, and stud kit, I'm also getting the axles welded. I have a shop schedualed to do the work for me tommorow morning. So now that I have this unit, will I be dissapointed in it's operation. I love to take the car to the strip once in a while. The biggest thing I'm afraid of, is that many have cominted on the one wheel burn-outs with the Torsen units. Is this common? What should I expect. I'm in no way trying to bash the sponser for this eather, this type of stuff happens and I'm sure I will work something out with them.
Thanks Guys.

Last edited by ricekillman; 03-03-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Put it in and forget about it. I wouldnt use anything but the torsen in my car. The only reason I would insist on the auburn is if you do nothing but drag race. The torsen unit is best for street driving.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The heavy duty unit should take more abuse but it does
not have the preload / higher torque split ratio so it will
not improve traction performance over the stocker, only
ruggedness. Given the high price and low price difference
from T-2R, I would definitely send it back and go for the
one (T-2R) that gives you more (heavy duty guts plus major
traction bonus). If Mr. X doesn't have a T-2R, you can get
it from Strano. If Mr. X's true initials are S, L and P I have
had some pretty worthless conversations with their
"technical support" people and they had no clue about
the subject and didn't seem to catch on either.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

It's going in as i'm writting it. I would send it back and get he T2R, but have no time to do so. Sending it back is not an option. Work part time, school full time. I'm at school on the computer right now taking a break to write this. And I need my car back. From what I've read the beefier T2 doesn't seem like a bad unit.

What exacxtly is the internal difference between the regular T2 and stronger, "heavy duty" T2?
Old 03-04-2004, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference? Night and Day. Seriously I don't know the tech side but I've driven both; the T2R wins hands down for traction and corner exiting. There's a reason they are $500! And, they are much beefier than than a standard T2.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

The T2 has a 2:1 ratio as the max torque difference (split) between the 2 wheels. The T2R has a 4:1 ratio as the max torque split. At least that is what I recall from Torsen's website. The T2R should be better in corners than the T2. I am guessing that they will be about the same in the straight, which is to say, both are much better than the stock unit which doesn't even handle straights very well. I have a T2R and it is absolutely amazing.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Yea Mr X Has Shafted Me On A Carrier Before Too Id Send It Back And Get The Tr2 Hell You Paid For It
Old 06-15-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Just ran across this thread searching...Forgive me if wrong, but as far as I know SLP sells the torsen take offs that come out of factory cars being made into firehawks and getting the auburn unit. SLP sells them for $99.
Did you get a standard Torsen worth $99 for the price of a good posi?