Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Drive shaft issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft issue

So I'm putting in a new torque arm with a drive shaft loop and I take my drive-shaft off and find this. Not sure how well you can see but the plate that connects the two ends of the yoke, that fit into the rear end, is broken. Honestly I've taken it off numerous times and never even noticed the plate, is this something I need to worry about? Seems like the yoke still spins fine.
Attached Thumbnails Drive shaft issue-driveshaft1.jpg   Drive shaft issue-driveshaft2.jpg  
Old 10-29-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Its a retainer to keep the caps from coming off. Pop it the rest of the way off if it bothers you. It wont hurt anything to leave it as-is
Old 10-30-2011, 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's 100% right. While its apart remove the caps and look for ridges in the little shafts. If you find any replace the U joint, if not put a little grease in the cups and put them back on. Try not to let the little needle bearing fall out of the cups or you'll say bad things about me.

Al 95 Z28
Old 10-30-2011, 02:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the input. I'll have to try that later Big Al, my dd is out of commission right now so I had to put the camaro back together until it gets fixed.