Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Replacing pinion seal question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Replacing pinion seal question

To replace the pinion seal in my 10 bolt, what all needs to be done? I was under the impression that you have to take out the gears and everything, as someone said in the first reply to my other thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ease-help.html it says "Involves full disassembly of rear end..."
So I was gonna replace all bearings and seals, new gears, and a solid pinion spacer and LPW diff. cover while I was at it...

However someone told me that it is not necessary to do all that, you just need to remove the axle and replace the seal. Can someone set me straight?
Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the nut that hols on the pinion is in the way for you to get to the seal. If you take off that nut you will have to replace the crush sleeve and set pinion preload.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>the gm procedure for replacing the pinion seal,, you measure the pinion rotating tq with the brakes/ rotors removed so you are just free spinning the carrier/ axles,, get that measurement, remove the pinion yoke, replace the seal,, then tighten the pinion nut to your original rotating tq measurement + 3 inch pounds tq.
^ this is what I would call the short cut way, may be ok but the correct way is
"..."Involves full disassembly of rear end..."
just my .02'
Johnny