Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broken Currie t/a mount on 9"

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Currie t/a mount on 9"

I don't know if this has ever been an issue, and I'd be surprised if my car is the first to see it. Anyways, quick history. I got a 9" out of a Trans Am that supposedly ran 10's at one point. It was fine when I put it in my car. The last few weeks I've noticed more noise coming from my rearend. I thought a tire or bearing going bad. I finally pulled it apart Thanksgiving morning. I was a little surprised at what I found.

So my noise was probably my changing pinion angles. Either way, I now have a much larger problem. How does this happen? My car used to be 432 rwhp before the cam went bad, now it's stock. It never had a chance to hit the track. I'd hate to put another bracket on for it to do the same thing. I can't be sure, but it looks like this Currie bracket.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...E.aspx?id=1595

Are there any other options? I'd hate to repeat the same thing over. I see Moser has a slick bracket, but doesn't sell it separately.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I have seen those tq arm mounts break. Theres alot of stress on that mount and it having only 2 mounting points with how it bolts is it down fall in my eyes. I seen them break the welds on the rear housing also.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks to me like that's all plate steel that could be repaired
(and maybe beefed up) easily enough?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can possibly be re-welded but the bigger problem is that the crack has split, so the bracket would have to be tweaked back and then welded. And then from there, the integrity of the metal has been compromised, I would rather get a new one and strengthen that. But I shouldn't have to do that period.

I'm going to remove the rearend tonight and see if I can find out anything as to why it failed. Then I'll send it to Currie. Since I wasn't the original buyer, it's non-unwarrantable. I'd hope I can at least get a break on a new one, something I shouldn't have to deal with on a stock car!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Assuming the bracket is made of mild steel the weld should be stronger than the parent material. It looks like you could easily add a lap plate and some gussets to make a really strong bracket.

Quick Reply: Broken Currie t/a mount on 9"