Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

correct way to change 10bolt diff. fuild w/ TA girdle

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default correct way to change 10bolt diff. fuild w/ TA girdle

I'm confussed on the correct way to change 10bolt diff. fuild w/ TA girdle.

1.which fill hole should be used the TA fill hole which is much higher than the side GM hole allowing more fuild?

2.if the TA fill hole is used should the GM fill hole plug be removed and only fill till it comes out the GM hole?

3.or should the TA fill hole be used and pump fuild in intill it comes out of TA fill hole?

4.should teflon tape be used on either fill plug and the TA drain plug?

5.doe's the car have to be completely level for all the fuild to drain out of the diff.though the TA drain hole, I have it on the ramps so would it be better to jack up the front to level the car out?

6.I have 2 quarts 32OZs plus about 10 OZs from last fuild change total 42OZs hopping this will be enought.

edit I have been told you don't want the fluid to be above the load bolts (bearing support stands) in the middle of the cover only because oil can work its way around the threads and eventually leak. so I'm confussed where the TA fill hole is so high way above the bearing surport lpad bolts.

Thanks for any helpfull advice

Last edited by badmfkr; 02-02-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody willing to share a little knowlengh on a fuild change
Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Level the car. Fill until fluid comes out the GM hole in the side of the housing. Use teflon tape on the drain plug. It takes just less than 2 qts plus 4oz of GM or Ford friction modifier. If you have a Torsen posi unit I guess you could do without the friction modifier.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I'm confussed on the correct way to change 10bolt diff. fuild w/ TA girdle.

1.which fill hole should be used the TA fill hole which is much higher than the side GM hole allowing more fuild?

2.if the TA fill hole is used should the GM fill hole plug be removed and only fill till it comes out the GM hole?

3.or should the TA fill hole be used and pump fuild in intill it comes out of TA fill hole?

4.should teflon tape be used on either fill plug and the TA drain plug?

5.doe's the car have to be completely level for all the fuild to drain out of the diff.though the TA drain hole, I have it on the ramps so would it be better to jack up the front to level the car out?

6.I have 2 quarts 32OZs plus about 10 OZs from last fuild change total 42OZs hopping this will be enought.

edit I have been told you don't want the fluid to be above the load bolts (bearing support stands) in the middle of the cover only because oil can work its way around the threads and eventually leak. so I'm confussed where the TA fill hole is so high way above the bearing surport lpad bolts.

Thanks for any helpfull advice
You fill it until it starts seeping out of the stock 10 bolt fill hole. I have never put teflon tape on the plug, didn't find it necessary. Level is best.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

1.should the fuild be warm when draining?

2.when draining would it be even better to have the front of car higher than the rear?

3.should I let it drain over night untill it stops dipping?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a rear end fluid change.... there's no need to make it this complicated. It's as simple as draining the fluid and putting new fliud in.

Quick Reply: correct way to change 10bolt diff. fuild w/ TA girdle