Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Differential seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Differential seal

Hello everyone, I have a leak on my rear passenger side axle
At first I was hoping it was just a simple bleeder screw for the brakes coming loose but it's definitely gear oil. Does anyone know of a write up on how to replace the seal? I'm getting oil leaking out at the very end of the axle where it connects to the tire. Any help would be great! And does anyone know what that seal is called? I can't remember, and I'm guessing Pepboys would have the seal correct? Thanks in advance everyone!!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Has anyone done this repair? I've been searching around with no luck, I believe it's the "Rear axle shaft seal" and from reading on other forums (( on other vehicles )) it appears it's a straight forward job.

Do you just remove the wheel, brakes, rotors then remove the one bolt to the axle and slide it out then the gasket is on the actual axle and just pop that off and put the new one one? Any help would be great! Planning on doing this on Saturday!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is called the axle seal. I suggest replacing both sides at the same time, it isn't much additional work once You have one side off. You can do a search for this procedure, Iam certain there is a write up somewhere. It is pretty basic, just a oily job.
Carl
Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Alright thank you! I found a simple write-up one another forum:

"Basically you take the tires off. the two bolts per side on the rear brakes, the one bolt per side on the speed sensors (4ch only), ten bolts for the cover, one bolt for the cross pin or thrust block, push the axles in, turn until you hear the c clip fall then pull them out, look at the bearing surface. "

So my only question now is how do you remove the clips? Do you just push the axle inward and spin it counter-clockwise? Once it's removed and after you replace the seal; how easy is it to reassemble it? Does it slide in and the clips automatically clip back on?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Removing the speed sensors is a must as the axle will not go in far enough otherwise (I found this out). To remove axles just push them inward, and the c-clip will be exposed in the open area of the carrier. A magnetic extender tool is helpful to use on the c-clip. I found that a seal puller was necessary, but they are inexpensive. You might want to replace the axle bearings while you are in there, they will have to be pulled with some sort of tool. Harbor Freight sells tools needed for pulling and installing the bearings. This is not a hard job, you can probably knock it out in 4 or 5 hours if you are slow like me.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Alright thank you! I'm planning on doing this repair this weekend in which I'm going to take loads of pictures and do a writeup on here for everyone

Last question! Where exactly is the speed sensor located? Is it behind the back protective plate by the brakes? And also when you say the carrier opening are your referring to the differential? And is a magnet needed or are you able to pop it off with a flat head screwdriver? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

The speed sensors are near the bottom of the brake backing plate, they have wiring coming off of them. The carrier or posi unit has an opening in it that you will see the axles pertrude into. The magnet just makes it easier, as the c-clips slip and slide and drop out to where they should not go.