Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Willin to educate a noob on a 10 Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Willin to educate a noob on a 10 Bolt?

So, I went to the track this last weekend on street tires, ran a 13.300 at 108.78mph.. Not bad for just an SLP Lid and Long Tubes, but I really want that 12 mark.

My question is, for a total of maybe 3 runs, would the 10 bolt live 3 launches on some 10.5" MT Drag Radials, maybe some pointers to help make it last. A good rpm to drop at? Its a DD but Im not scared to get on it, just wanna know what to expect. Cars got 84k miles on it, fresh fluid change, Superior Axle upgrades. Should I plan on having a wrecker on stand by?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

people have gone 1.5's on stock 10 bolts and some people have blown up 10 bolts with bone stock cars...
Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since your little signature dude is flippin' us off I say you'll be fine on DRs. lol

Otherwise I'd say you're asking for trouble. 108 with a good launch is probably mid-high 12s. Why not just be happy with the knowlege that you've got a 12 sec car. Work on your 60' and you'd be there on street tires. Every tenth you reduce your 60' will reduce your ET x2 tenths. I've been able to get a 2.004 60' on street tires with the 4.10s...only 2.2x and up when I had 3.42s.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Haha sorry, thats for any Ford lovers among us. My 60ft was a 2.2 as well with the 3.42s... From a roll this car is quite fun. Its just not a whole shot winner. Maybe some nitto street tires and quicker shifting (stock clutch master cylinder blows)
Old 03-05-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any suspension upgrades yet?

Lower control arms,
Lower control arm relocation brackets,
QA1 or KYB adjustable front struts, actually all around if you can.

If you don't have the above, you need them, probably a first mod for a stock car. It will help alot with your 60 ft.

Launch technique... rev it up to ~3000RPM and do a controlled release. Not slow, but not a dump either. Ease it out as you mash the gas. Your 10 bolt should be fine with stock hp.

Good Track Prep helps too. If yours isn't prepped well, wait for it, you may be spinning your tires. HAHAHA Pun intended!

Good luck, hope it helps.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Ive got boxed spohn lower control arms and bmr torque arm, no relocation mounts for control arms yet, for what I understand they make a considerable difference. Its slightly more then stock hp but I got the gyst of what you were saying. My hankooks are quite crappy. Great for lighting up 1st, 2nd, and partly 3rd, and track prep was crappy, first run of the year, and I broke sideways once in 2nd bc a truck leaked on the track.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000NemeSS
Ive got boxed spohn lower control arms and bmr torque arm, no relocation mounts for control arms yet, for what I understand they make a considerable difference. Its slightly more then stock hp but I got the gyst of what you were saying. My hankooks are quite crappy. Great for lighting up 1st, 2nd, and partly 3rd, and track prep was crappy, first run of the year, and I broke sideways once in 2nd bc a truck leaked on the track.
Definitely gotta get the LCA Relocation Brackets in. Founders Performance has them for a great price. Good quality welds, super easy install. Bolt In.

Track prep is super important. Here in Vegas, on Friday nights (Midnight Mayhem), there's no water box, and little track prep. Kinda sucks.

Also, best runs are usually early in the night because of things like other vehicles leaking fluids on the track.

I ran in January and it was just too cold. Couldn't get the tires warmed up properly. (FYI... Running 10 bolt with .410 gears).

Hopefully this weekend I get my car back. Having a rear mount turbo put in. That and an LS9 Cam should make for a lot of fun. (Had some other stuff done while he has it. SS Brake lines, Subframe Connectors, Methanol/water Injection, etc.)

Can't wait to get it back and see how it does.

(Next up will probably be new rearend. Just hoping the 10 bolt makes it through the summer.)
Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HRHohio
Definitely gotta get the LCA Relocation Brackets in. Founders Performance has them for a great price. Good quality welds, super easy install. Bolt In.

Track prep is super important. Here in Vegas, on Friday nights (Midnight Mayhem), there's no water box, and little track prep. Kinda sucks.

Also, best runs are usually early in the night because of things like other vehicles leaking fluids on the track.

I ran in January and it was just too cold. Couldn't get the tires warmed up properly. (FYI... Running 10 bolt with .410 gears).

Hopefully this weekend I get my car back. Having a rear mount turbo put in. That and an LS9 Cam should make for a lot of fun. (Had some other stuff done while he has it. SS Brake lines, Subframe Connectors, Methanol/water Injection, etc.)

Can't wait to get it back and see how it does.

(Next up will probably be new rearend. Just hoping the 10 bolt makes it through the summer.)
Well since I read this message, UMI Relocation brackets are officially ordered. Track has another test and tune this weekend, I ordered them from WS6 Store and they will to be to my house, and installed on my car by then, so I guess we shall see if I can shave some time off my 60FT.. I was leaving off an idle at the light, getting great reaction times but I will try the 3k controlled release. I know any other time I would just start to spin towards the top of my rpms even while rolling. But maybe the brackets will help.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm assuming it's a 6 speed since it's a 3.42 gear in the rear? you should be fine running that gear, you will put more stress on your clutch than anything cuz it's kinda set up for highway mileage instead of good 60' times, you should be fine for atleast a little while though
Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

I couldn't tell you how many passes I had with 4.56s and street tires in my 10 bolt. I know I had 1.7x 60' with quick time pros it's all in the clutch slip. Good luck OP
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys, nice to hear some decent news on 10 bolts. Yea stock 3.42s with superior axles. Wheel hop is almost non existent with the lcas, relocation brackets, and torque arm. im not going to clutch dump and floor it, im just tired of getting past 4500rpms and it breaking loose, hitting second and hoping it doesnt kick sideways. Like I said, once I hit those 12s I will be settled down for a while.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2000NemeSS Any update with the LCA relocation brackets and better tires?
I went to the track yesterday and I'm in the exact spot as you after my cam change. Bad 60' and 13.4 @ 108...bad traction and that 12 sec carrot hanging out there....Soooo Close