Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

s60 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s60 questions

i will be buying a rearend very soon. i have been looking at the s60 what all do i need to do this swap i know ill need a new driveshaft but is their anything else i might need?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

need to send them your backing plates and thats it. mines been great no issues as of yet i have about 2k miles on it so far but am putting a 6.0 and f1 should be done within 2 weeks. then we will put it to the test
Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

mines a daily driver i may get them to weld their backing plates on for a little extra money.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The S60 is a great, direct bolt-in reared for the f-body cars.

Like all other aftermarket rearends the brake backing plates become the axle retainer because there is no c-clips, and the axle bearing is pressed on the axle instead of installed in the housing.

Strange will install your backing plates/reluctor rings(if 4ch) for no charge if you send them in, as the S60 is normally a complete assembled rearend when you get it.

There should be nothing additional other than a driveshaft for the S60 install.

Give us a call... MWC is a direct dealer for Strange and has the best deal on the S60 rearends.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

I purchased my S60 from Carl at Central Racing Parts and he is a great guy and very easy to deal with. Im still breaking it in and only got 200 miles on it but so far it feels like its gonna be amazing. The install was super easy!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered my S60 from Midwest Chassis along with other goodies
Got a Hella good deal thru them!! Thanks Again Eric
Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Will I still be able to use my bmr torque arm?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If it bolts in the stock location on the rear centersection, then yes it should fit.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sent my backing plates in and bought a driveshaft, other than that bolts in like stock. On a side note, not that its difficult but I had to make 2 new brake lines on my install, the stock ones are pretty gangly.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS600461
Yes, but you need to trim off some to fit not much. bmr website has a picture and template to show what needs trimmed, took me 10 mins to do and works great.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by +badss+
Yes, but you need to trim off some to fit not much. bmr website has a picture and template to show what needs trimmed, took me 10 mins to do and works great.
Same goes for Spohn. It took me a little longer because I broke a cut off wheel. lol. Pretty easy to trim though.

As for the s60 . It's more complete than I expected. I didn't read into the sway bar mounts and had some three inch clamps for the sway bar ready for when the rear arrived. They have mounts welded on and include bolts. I was pleasantly surprised. For someone like me needing a complete rear delivered with no surprises, it fit the bill. Performed flawlessly at the track.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need to send them your backing plates and thats it. mines been great no issues as of yet i have about 2k miles on it so far but am putting a 6.0 and f1 should be done within 2 weeks. then we will put it to the test
I have a 95 and didn't send them anything. Is the "send them your backing plates" for later years? My backing plates, brakes, and everything except the driveshaft bolted right on. Forgot, had to buy new lugnuts, my factory ones were Metric.

Al 95 Z28 S60
Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

mines a daily driver i may get them to weld their backing plates on for a little extra money.
FYI ... the backing plates are not weld on. They bolt-on after the axle bearing is pressed on between the backing plates and the axle housing.

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
I purchased my S60 from Carl at Central Racing Parts and he is a great guy and very easy to deal with. Im still breaking it in and only got 200 miles on it but so far it feels like its gonna be amazing. The install was super easy!
I purchased mine from Carl at CRP as well and he is a great guy to deal with. He will answer all of your questions and, if he doesn't know, he will get the answer for you. Carl also got me the best possible deal anywhere.

Yes, but you will have trim it as already answered below.

Originally Posted by JKB315
Same goes for Spohn. It took me a little longer because I broke a cut off wheel. lol. Pretty easy to trim though.

As for the s60 . It's more complete than I expected. I didn't read into the sway bar mounts and had some three inch clamps for the sway bar ready for when the rear arrived. They have mounts welded on and include bolts. I was pleasantly surprised. For someone like me needing a complete rear delivered with no surprises, it fit the bill. Performed flawlessly at the track.
Actually, that is not true for the Spohn unless you already have one and want to use it. Spohn sells a mount specifically cut for the S60 before it is powder coated.

If you plan to add suspension parts, the time to do it is when you are doing your swap.

Also, if you plan to run a drag bar, order your rear with the swar bar mounts deleted, but MWC makes a nice drag bar that bolts to the stock mounts.

Now is also the time to add LCA relocation brackets if you decide to go that route too.

Check out my installation thread .... https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ca-s-phbr.html

Last edited by BrianSF-GA; 04-11-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

One last thing I forgot .... I ordered new brake backing plates from my local Chevrolet dealership cheaper than buying new ones from Strange and shipped them to Strange. I kept my existing 10-bolt intact for a future demod if necessary.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

yeah backing plates from strange are like $369 crazy price gm is probably cheaper i got a nice used set for 80 shipped to strange.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
I have a 95 and didn't send them anything. Is the "send them your backing plates" for later years? My backing plates, brakes, and everything except the driveshaft bolted right on. Forgot, had to buy new lugnuts, my factory ones were Metric.

Al 95 Z28 S60
Yes, LS1 cars require you to send the backing plates in, the LT1 cars do not.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI to all on the backing plate thing... on the 93-97 brakes Strange includes a nice set of billet black anodized caliper mounts at no extra cost.

The 98-02 cars require you to send in a set of caliper mounts and tin shields. Strange had some in stock still.

The tin shield part is still available, but the caliper mount bracket is now obsolete other than the RH one for 4ch.

I may consider making new ones once we move to our new shop in a few months, as we will have a cnc mill there.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ssvert99
FYI to all on the backing plate thing... on the 93-97 brakes Strange includes a nice set of billet black anodized caliper mounts at no extra cost.

The 98-02 cars require you to send in a set of caliper mounts and tin shields. Strange had some in stock still.

The tin shield part is still available, but the caliper mount bracket is now obsolete other than the RH one for 4ch.

I may consider making new ones once we move to our new shop in a few months, as we will have a cnc mill there.
As of March of last year, the 3-channel plate assemblies were reasonably plentiful and were about $100 each shipped. My local dealership found them in stock in Michigan and matched the Internet pricing so I "kept my money local". The GM parts websites online show them listed, but I would definitely call before ordering to be sure. Sometimes they list items like this even when they are no longer available.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Brian,
Are those 2.5 inch wheel studs you got the 'long' wheel stud option, and do they stick far enough out of your drag wheels to satisfy the NHRA wheel stud protrusion rule?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by guppymech
Hey Brian,
Are those 2.5 inch wheel studs you got the 'long' wheel stud option, and do they stick far enough out of your drag wheels to satisfy the NHRA wheel stud protrusion rule?
They are the 2" long 1/2"-20 screw-in stud kit .... Strange Part No. A1025. I don't believe Strange has a 2-1/2" long stud kit, at least they don't list one .... 2" or 3" long in a 1/2"-20.

The basic NHRA rule says that the wheel stud must protrude into the hex portion of the lug by a distance at least equal to the diameter of the stud. The shank length of the mag lugs is 1/2" and the 2" long stud protrudes 1-3/8" from the mounting surface of the rotor. The mag lugs themselves are 1-3/8" long, so, the end of the stud is flush with the open end of the mag lug. Therefore, 7/8" of the 1/2"-20 stud protrudes into the hex portion of the mag lug .... hence legal ... !

If you are only going to run a drag wheel, I would opt for the 3" stud kit which most members recommend. Since I run ZR1's on the street with closed end lugs, I chose the 2" length.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: s60 questions