Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help rear axle/wheel noise!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help rear axle/wheel noise!?

ok so for a year plus now my car is making a noise in the rear. now i have posted on here before and i never got a straight answer. i tried replacing rear wheelbearings and seals and when i got in there they were fine, so swapped out the seals and tried replacing the rotors and pads...nothing. im running out of ideas on what it could be!! someone said a pinion bearing and i youtubed the noise and that sounds like a high pitched squeel/whine. mine is like a rubbing or a waawaawaawaawaaawaa. Any idea? i know i have heard people say they had the same problem but ive yet to see a solution.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you sure it isn't just gear noise? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a similar noise and determined that it was the
rear brake pads dragging on the rotors, with the axle
on stands I could pinpoint the source by slowly turning
the wheel.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What was your solution? Change to different pads?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Mine made the same noise and ended up being rear pinion bearings and axle bearings. Quiet as can be now.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am getting a griding noise, but only from under 25mph when cruising down to a stop. I have changed rotors, pads, axle bearings, rebuilt differential, and the noise does not stop. The last thing to change is the axle shafts, which are not in bad condition. When I lifted the rearend and put the car in gear to spin the wheels, I could not replicate the grinding noise. So I have no idea, other than the pads possibly dragging, but the calipers aren't too hot after driving, if they were dragging.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Op yours sounds like a carrier bearing from your description.

Guy, when you say rebuilt diff do you know if your pinion and carrier beatings were replaced? How does your diff magnet look...if you have grinding that typically means failure is imminent. Have you pulled the axle shafts and looked at the bearing surface? Remember if you change them you need new axle bearings too.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

All bearings where replaced, except axle tube bearings. The magnet hasn't really had metal shavings the times I have taken a look . The bearing surfaces on the axles are not perfect, but not pitted. The shop said they were still good, but are showing signs of wear. I am guesing they may be the originals. I have seen the axles myself too and didn't look as bad as others I have seen online. That is the next thing I will replace, axles/bearings.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update: I replaced the axles with Dorman 630-122, and national bearings and seals. The noise is still there, but not as loud as before. The old axles did have grooves in them, but were not pitted.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Launching!

I have same problem. i replaced the rear bearings and one axle that was pitted. I have a little bit of noise still. I plan on replacing the other axle even though it had no pitting. It is more annoying then anything else. Not loud like before I did the bearings GL
Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I finally resolved my grinding noise issue. After replacing all parts listed in posts 6 and 9 in this thread, I got around to installing new bfgoodrich g-force sport comp-2 tires. The noise is now gone. I am guessing the Nitto NT555 tires caused the noise because they were chewed up along the edges due to a bad alignment. I can't believe it was the tires this whole time!

Last edited by guy7bmwm83; 07-03-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Help rear axle/wheel noise!?