Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Loud POP coming from rear after I turn ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Loud POP coming from rear after I turn ?????

Hey fellas, I need your help. recently my Camaro has been making a loud pop sometimes after making a turn. the thing that gets me is that it doesn't do it every time. as far as i know it still has the stock gears with 102k miles. is there a broken tooth on my ring/pinion? what does it sound like if the universal joint is going out? my rearend has been whining a little but when i'm driving in a straight line, there is no pop or clunking, no problems, it does fine. what do you think?

Last edited by jc98ss; 07-28-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone ever had this problem from the rear?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have an auburn diff?
sounds like the possie internals is messed up.?.?

i had 1 do that.......
Old 07-28-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

after your turn?.......mine done it during a left hand turn.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm not sure what diff, i've never pulled the cover. i've had the tranny out and put the cam in myself, but never messed with the rear. i guess because all of the horror stories.

the car still drives fine, it just puzzles the crap out of me since it only makes the pop every now and then.

should i pull the cover? if i do, how can i tell if it's an Auburn? doesn't one setup have yellow springs in it?
Old 07-28-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes,auburn will have springs in the middle & zexel will be worm gear......
Old 07-28-2012, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a ford lightning do this, it was worn spider gears and the s shaped spring was alowing the spider gears to pop over each other when turning...
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Mine failed at 34,500 and never raced or abused. It was the pinion bearings.

And miraculously, the annoying clunk in the rear end went away too. The clunk that since new, all service managers told me was normal - they all do it they said.

There is a special posi additive that is required for some diffs - keeps the posi from binding when turning corners because the inner wheel turns less than the outer wheel. Since yours is a 98, I think it came with an Auburn posi which requires the additive.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Mine failed at 34,500 and never raced or abused. It was the pinion bearings.

And miraculously, the annoying clunk in the rear end went away too. The clunk that since new, all service managers told me was normal - they all do it they said.

There is a special posi additive that is required for some diffs - keeps the posi from binding when turning corners because the inner wheel turns less than the outer wheel. Since yours is a 98, I think it came with an Auburn posi which requires the additive.
i added a small bottle of the GM friction modifier about 20K miles ago when i had my tranny out for a clutch change, but it might need more.

it seems like there is a tooth broken, but i figured it would make noise all of the time or whine really loud. i'm going to pull the cover off the rear and look at it soon. i was driving it yesterday and it seemed like the pop came from up by the tranny or from the middle of the car. Now I'm wondering if my torque arm bushing might be broke. the car has felt a little loose since the first time i heard the noise.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the exact same problem and symptoms. After I popped the cover off I noticed the posi trac part or the whole unit holding the gears was broken. A bolt that was holding it in place broke off or backed out. Not sure but anyways mines screwed. It sounds like you have the same thing goin. Anyways good luck!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Austinma62
I had the exact same problem and symptoms. After I popped the cover off I noticed the posi trac part or the whole unit holding the gears was broken. A bolt that was holding it in place broke off or backed out. Not sure but anyways mines screwed. It sounds like you have the same thing goin. Anyways good luck!
when you'd go around a turn, did it feel like the entire gears and axles shifted to one side and made a single click or pop?

what keeps the "guts" of the rearend from sliding from side to side......it seems like that's whats broken in mine, i don't think it's a tooth anymore......it seems like the entire rear shifts slightly when i go around a turn.....i know my panhard bar is fine, i checked it out
Old 05-27-2021, 05:58 PM

Default Radio popping

Originally Posted by jc98ss
anyone ever had this problem from the rear?
in addition to my car popping when I turn corners, my radio has a loud pop… often. We followed the video instructions and cut the white wire behind the radio but now we have no sound… radio, back up camera or turn signals. Any help? Thx
Old 05-28-2021, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

9 year thread revival, nice
Old 05-28-2021, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jc98ss
9 year thread revival, nice
No big deal, sometimes people are just googling an answer and it leads them here, that's a good thing...... Georgina, to start with I'd reconnect that wire and go from there, I am not a stereo guy but some here are..... can you expound on the noise you've got at the rear of the car?
Old 05-28-2021, 03:47 PM

Default Camaro troubles. It’s mainly when we turn left. It sounds like popping and or somethi

Originally Posted by speedfreak440
No big deal, sometimes people are just googling an answer and it leads them here, that's a good thing...... Georgina, to start with I'd reconnect that wire and go from there, I am not a stereo guy but some here are..... can you expound on the noise you've got at the rear of the car?
Thank you for your response. It sounds like something popping and or rolling on the rear end on the passenger side. Mainly when you turn left. We have a friend who had something similar and he said there was a recall on the differential fluid… It needed to be changed. We had our mechanic do that and it is still making the exact same sound.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

If you are mechanically inclined start by jacking it up, secure with jackstands and visually inspect to see if anything is out of place, check to make sure lugnuts are tight and check all bushings for slack as well as bolts for control arms, swaybar, torque arm etc..... if not mechanically inclined find a mechanic or good alignment guy in your area that you trust and have them look at it. It could be a lot of different things some simple and cheap others more expensive.

Quick Reply: Loud POP coming from rear after I turn ?????