Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Richmond gears... DAMN they're noisy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
How do you know they were set up perfectly? Did you do the work? Nothing against you, but if you did, do you have the experience to ensure that they were actually done right?
I know what you're trying to get at here. But come on now, you don't need to be the most experienced tech to setup gears quietly. I've only setup 3 total. It's not that hard to read instructions that states required backlash and adjust to get the desired pattern and settings. I have assembled 2 rears that made no noticeable noise inside the car, and this one I decided to have a shop do it, (mainly because I didn't have time to do the labor due to my job at the time), and the tech who did it wrote down his pinion depth and BL specs. I took the case home, and verified it, and even painted the teeth he didn't, and it all looked spot on, like a picture in the book. (These were the Richmonds). The minute it came off the jackstands the bitch whined. I tried a few different shims, with no luck.

A set of Motives I set up were dead silent, until I changed the fluid. Metal chunks came out of the fluid, turns out the cheap Ford OEM case I had had some cracks and was brittle and spit out some metal, and fucked up my gears.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought richmond rear end gears.were.drag only...
Old 08-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

I recently bought a used rear (10 bolt) with 4.10s. And it supposedly only had around 6800 miles on it with no play in the pinion and had a very good looking wear pattern on the teeth. I put it in and it whines quite loudly, only noticeable really on a very light load from 50-65 mph (while maintaining speed). Can someone tell by this if there is something wrong seriously or perhaps if it's just setup up slightly wrong? I just want to know if it's going to go out on me soon or if it's just typical gear whine

Quick Reply: Richmond gears... DAMN they're noisy!