Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion Angle Verification

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Pinion Angle Verification

Just wanted to run this by everyone to see if this makes sense. My trans points down 4*. My ds points down 1.5*. And my pinion points up 2*. So under full load my pinion would rise 2* more which would be 4* and be in perfect alignment with my transmission. Is this setup ok?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

What are using the car for primarily? For street duty you want as close to opposite for the pinion angle. In a drag car, you'll have to guess at how much climb your going to get when power is on flat out. If you get vibration at the strip, 2° is probably too much.

The driveshaft angle in a car is really irrelevant. It helps to know this in a Jeep, because those vehicles have extreme operating angles for the drive shaft, putting the u-joints close to bind on rebound. Unless your car is set up for mud bogging It's probably unlikely you'll bind the u-joints at full rebound.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mainly street use. I recently upgraded to a fab 9 rear with adj lca, phb and torque arm. So what should my pinion angle be then for a mainly street car.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

4 up. I would try getting the tailshaft up so it's pointing down 3, or better 2, and then set the pinion to the opposite angle. The less angle on each joint the better, it will cancel more effectively and by extension the less chance there is of vibration. Lower angles also transfer power better.

Quick Reply: Pinion Angle Verification