Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4L80 Moser 9" Strange 3rd member driveshaft length?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80 Moser 9" Strange 3rd member driveshaft length?

Tried to put as much information into the title as possible. This is what I want to know, what length driveshaft do I need in a Trans AM with a 4L80 and a 9" rear with the S-Trac nodular iron 3rd member from strange? Some of the places are not sure on the length and I am in the process of ordering the rear-end so I don't have that to measure. Pretty much I want to get everything at the same time so there isn't any down time besides swapping out parts.

I know people and sponsors have links to theirs but I would also like to know the length for my own information. That way when asked I can answer and not do the umm err uh I don't know stuff about my car answer. Thanks ahead of time guys.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nothing? Can I get a PM or something or has this just not been done so everyone is unsure?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the driveshaft and rear I have on my car were originally from a 4L80e. Only thing swapped was the yoke on the driveshaft to the 27 spline one. If that helps...
Old 05-19-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the reply Guitar, but unfortunately it doesn't help me out. What I am interested in is the dimensions of the driveshaft I would need for the 4L80/9" moser combination.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow67
The T56 and the 4L80 are only about 1/16" difference in length. Looks like you have been running too short of a shaft for a while. FYI I ran my stock driveshaft (and 10 bolt) with both a T56 and a 4L80 (with a yoke change of course).
So based on that...

Originally Posted by EPP
We use the stock length driveshaft without any problems. Bob
But a simple call to Bob would clear this up quickly.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having installed an s60 and getting my drive shaft this past week, I can tell you i tried getting the drive shaft length measurement before hand. have heard you can just call up pst and get one without giving them a measurement as they seem to be selling a lot of drive shafts for these cars with aftermarket rears.
however i did not go with them for a drive shaft, and in the end glad i did everything the right way- install everything but the drive shaft then measure. that way it fits properly. different pinion yokes and transmission yokes will change the measurement so i would not be surprised at all if a mistake gets made somewhere along the way and you get a shaft not the correct length without measuring your car. you want to be accurate to within 1/4" to 1/2".

Quick Reply: 4L80 Moser 9" Strange 3rd member driveshaft length?