Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

02 Firehawk Clicking in Rear Upon Decceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Firehawk Clicking in Rear Upon Decceleration

Hey guys,

My wife has an 02 Hawk and we have a clicking in the rear upon deccelaration after the car warms up. We bought the car used with 48k and it now has around 57k and the noise appears to have been the same the whole time. I want to have the rear gone through with new gears but am not ready to do so. Anybody have ideas on what it might be or will it hurt anything?

Tony
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

90 views and no one has had a similar problem? I did do a search and didn't find anyone with this exact issue unfortunately.

Tony
Old 08-20-2013, 09:14 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've also got a clicking back there. I assumed it had something to do with the brakes, but it did not go away with new pads/rotors. It also did not go away when I added PHB, LCA/LCARB. It's also speed-sensitive (decel, only). The rear makes no typical noise; it does not whine or grind. Zexel unit seems to work fine.

I'd love to figure out WTF it is!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I've also got a clicking back there. I assumed it had something to do with the brakes, but it did not go away with new pads/rotors. It also did not go away when I added PHB, LCA/LCARB. It's also speed-sensitive (decel, only). The rear makes no typical noise; it does not whine or grind. Zexel unit seems to work fine.

I'd love to figure out WTF it is!

I think I will be findin out tomorrow morning.....have a good friend that specializes in race cars looking at it. I'll let you know!

Tony
Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Hey guys. I have a 2000 SS with a clicking sound coming from the rear upon deceleration also. If you accelerate it stops clicking but when you let off the accelerator it starts clicking again. Also it seems to click faster as the speed increases. Sounds like it is rotational maybe. I've taken it to the dealer and they had no idea what it was. I've taken it to 2 more mechanics and one says its the drive shaft. The other says it is not the ds. I bought the car with 24,000 miles on it and it did not do it. It's got 74,000 now and seems to be getting worse. It is driving me insane. Help please from someone. Thanks Moon
Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Teching In

I've got a 2002 ss with the torsen in it that does the same thing.Mine has also got a noticeable vibration at higher speed from back there. Took the cover off, only thing i found was the axle block fit kinda loose in the diff. and on the retaining pin. I took a dull chisel and struck the block where the pin goes through it to close the hole up some. Noise/vibration had just about vanished only to some back few thousand miles....... Going to buy a strange S60
Old 09-11-2013, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Had my resource check out the rear. Heard the noise, pulled the cover and found nothing. Still had the clicking but just finished a 2400 mile trip with it and no issues.

Will be putting 4.10's in it so hopefully the setting of the rear will eliminate the noise. Heard somewhere it could be the backlash so we will see.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rumblin70ss
Had my resource check out the rear. Heard the noise, pulled the cover and found nothing. Still had the clicking but just finished a 2400 mile trip with it and no issues.

Will be putting 4.10's in it so hopefully the setting of the rear will eliminate the noise. Heard somewhere it could be the backlash so we will see.
Wow something i might b able to help with i bought my 01 ws6 and while under warranty i brought it back 3 or 4 times because of that noise long story short its just the way their built w the limited slip it loosens not under any load then tightens during load and as u put more miles on is w become a little louder but in my opinion its nothing to worry about i put 50000 miles on it and never any problems.

Quick Reply: 02 Firehawk Clicking in Rear Upon Decceleration